Florida 2018

For discussions of high school varsity girls' lacrosse

Re: Florida 2018

New postby qentanglement on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:10 pm

Not sure if STA will be that strong this year after graduating one their best midfield players and going through a regime change. Agreed on Cardinal Newman, but not sure if they'll have the ability to get to first or second round play-in. Yes, Benjamin will be good too and could likely get by a Vero team in decline IMO. Certainly AH has the best chance of going all the way with a team roster mostly intact, probably improved, and with a score to settle. And then again, I could be completely wrong.
qentanglement

New postby Fsutpa on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:42 pm

From what i understand, St. Stephens out of Bradenton may surprise with some real talent entering the program.
Fsutpa

New postby Lax&Life on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:53 am

Any good games right off the bat?
Lax&Life

New postby qentanglement on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 pm

No schedules posted yet, but I am sure most teams have already worked out schedules internally. The better programs look for competitive match-ups outside their district (or region), so I would expect some "must see" games in the first half of the season, if not the first week or two.
qentanglement

New postby sharpshooter7750 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:08 pm

Benjamin has a tough road. First week face Lassiter (GA) then Vero 2 days later . followed by Hill Academy (On) ,Greenwich Academy ( CT) BM ,St Paul's School (Md). Thats just the first 3-4 weeks. Also face AH,STA
Last edited by sharpshooter7750 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharpshooter7750

New postby tampalax417 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:50 am

So the news this morning is that Kim Russell has left IMG Academy. Anyone know what is going on? What are they going to do about the upcoming season?
tampalax417

New postby sharpshooter7750 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 pm

IMG has a girls lacrosse program?
sharpshooter7750

New postby Bramble15 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:10 am

IMG does as of 2017 I believe. Maybe someone here can enlighten me but I simply do not see any advantage or benefit of IMG's process with respect to lacrosse. Their home page says something to the effect - " The Path to College Lacrosse Starts Here" I get it, that is simply a marketing slogan but I just don't see an advantage.

I bet any HS team in the Top 10 nationally could make a stronger case and at a considerable savings. Given the line of work I am in I look at cost risk/reward, and I cannot put 2 and 2 together with respect to what the end game is.
Bramble15

New postby deelax on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:27 pm

IMG has recruited several girls who are already committed Lazore's to Dartmouth, Another to Navy. At the price tag its a tough sell considering the actual education one gets from a more traditional boarding school. ( like The Founder League schools for example). Not sure what they will do at this point, I feel bad for the girls who left strong academic/lacrosse schools for this.
deelax

New postby longislandgal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:47 am

So, the schools that have scheduled out of state games, I assume they will wear helmets and their opponents will not? I would not allow my girls to play against a team with helmets on. Thoughts?
longislandgal

New postby outside_hand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:34 am

I had the pleasure of attending the Southern Shootout in the Orlando area on Saturday for their annual pre-season tournament. It was well run and featured quite a few quality teams. It also had the added bonus of a Gary Gait shooting clinic. That guy is pretty good.

I will share below the impressions I had of the teams that I saw play. I didn't see them all and I didn't especially pay attention to the final scores. Also note that most teams were just running basic offensive sets and simple defenses. A lot will change as the coaches begin to implement their systems.

BIG SURPRISES - Teams that were better than I thought they would be
1. Bishop Moore - Conventional wisdom would say that they are in for a big rebuilding year. That isn't what showed on the field. They are young, but came to play. Looked very good against Benjamin, Oak Hall, & PV. Their goalie was the best that I saw.
2. Dr. Phillips - See above. Would have thought that they would take a big step back, but they looked solid and well-coached.

LOOKING GOOD - Good teams that performed as expected
1. Olympia - Very strong on the draw and crisp offensively. You can tell this team has been putting in work. Had a battle with Dr. Phillips and jumped all over Oak Hall early before giving some of it back.
2. Lake Highland Prep - Didn't see much of them, but what I did see, they looked pretty good. Strong in all facets.
3. Benjamin - Very talented and plays very fast. Didn't look like their whole team was there.

A LITTLE RUSTY - These teams were brilliant in spots but looked a little rough around the edges
1. Oak Hall - Big and Athletic. Showed some rust, but played hard. Will be good if they cut down on mistakes.
2. Ponte Vedra - Have a few big shoes to fill, and 3rd coach in 3 years, but lots of skill. Looked a little disorganized, but that is to be expected. Should have that straightened out after Coach Johnston spends some time with them.

OTHERS - Didn't see much of these teams, but heard some tidbits
1. Martin County - Looked solid as usual; should make some noise on Treasure Coast
2. Bartram Trail - Well-coached and playing with energy as they always do. A little young and have some shoes to fill,

Good luck to all as they start their seasons today.
outside_hand

New postby Coach McD on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:02 pm

With the Job Openings page down, I'm posting the following in here for a former student of mine, turned lacrosse coach:

Key West HS glax is in immediate need of an Asst. Coach.
Please contact HC Alexandra Alvarez via email: Alvarez@basilicaschool.com
facebook.com/CoachCaseyMcDonald +ThirdCoastLacrossePodio
twitter.com/CoachCaseyMcD + @thirdcoastpodio
Instagram: @coachcaseymcdonald + @_thirdcoastpodio_

Third Coast Lacrosse Podio Creator/Host
https://soundcloud.com/user-199077081
#GrowTheGame
Coach McD

New postby 2pontificate on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Key West!!!! OMG, can I retire right now?
2pontificate

New postby qentanglement on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:52 pm

Thoughts and prayers go out to the students and parents of Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. Awesome girls lacrosse program and great players too. Hope all got home safe and sound.
qentanglement

New postby Laxmom626 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:38 pm

All MSDGLAX players are safe. They are so grateful to the Florida lacrosse community for all of their support. Check out MSDGLAX on Instagram and see all the teams wearing red ribbon on their cleats in support if the school and this team.
Laxmom626

New postby Retiredlaxcoach111 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:51 am

I was in Sarasota this past weekend to ref a couple of games. Spoke to a parent from IMG regarding the girls program They are now being coached by former D1 coach They have 9 committed players including Syracuse, Johns Hopkins, Boulder, UF, Dartmouth,Navy etc Several girls are ranked as the top players in Canada as well as top girls from around the US. I know that the girls are being trained in the same methods as the boys program and is intensive and year round. I was told that they will be traveling out of state with trips to Virginia, Ohio etc I happen to know several past students of IMG and their education level is on par with other top schools They do have great facilities which I have seen during officials yearly training last month I believe it will have the same success as the boys program
Retiredlaxcoach111

New postby golflaxguy on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:42 am

I saw some of the games in the Sarasota Play Day on Saturday featuring several teams from around the state. Interesting match ups for many teams but the surprising games were IMG losing to both Bishop Moore and Lake Highland. BM and LH didn't meet. Each team played four modified running time games albeit there was no scoreboard for any of the games but the parents knew who won. IMG had very efficient ball movement on offense but couldn't put the ball in the goal when needed and had a small bench. Both BM and LH brought small armies probably in search of varsity level players? Great lacrosse for a great cause.
golflaxguy

New postby White Rabbit on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:56 am

IMG's DI level coach resigned back in December and they haven't hired a new one yet. You can have all the talent in the world, but if they don't have a coach it's going to be a long season.

Not suprised LHP and BM beat IMG handily. Those two teams are deep and well coached.
White Rabbit

New postby Retiredlaxcoach111 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:08 am

I happen to know coach Red and he is a D1 level coach having coached at Syracuse while my nephew played there. The IMG team was missing several players due to injury including during the games. Their starting goalie who is highly recruited was out and two starting defensive players who are D1 recruits did not play The goalkeeper postion was played by a Johns Hopkins recruited middie with a fractured foot who managed to stop half of the goals. Winning against a team in close games with key missing payers including their defense isn’t very dominating. I look forward to see a rematch with the teams at full strength I will say that several of the Bishop Moore’s parents conduct was deplorable and reprehensible. The issue had to be addressed during the game It’s so sad that girls turn out for a play day for a great cause and parents have to act that way
Retiredlaxcoach111

New postby qentanglement on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Just a reminder to keep it upbeat on this thread. Probably not good idea to comment about parents, players, or coaches in a negative way. LP moderators have little tolerance for this kind of banter and I would like to see Florida 2018 get through the season without getting warned or locked.
qentanglement

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Girls' High School Lacrosse