Florida 2018

For discussions of high school varsity girls' lacrosse

Re: Florida 2018

New postby sharpshooter7750 on Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 pm

congrats to south florida national team. 4-0 and dominated one of the top divisions. truly remarkable talent .opposing teams and parents seemed to be shocked at talent level. were talk of tourney amongst college coaches with sidelines packed every game .put up 69 goals and only allowing avg of 5 per game. great job!!!
sharpshooter7750

New postby itsallgood on Tue May 29, 2018 3:45 pm

sharpshooter7750 wrote:congrats to south florida national team. 4-0 and dominated one of the top divisions. truly remarkable talent .opposing teams and parents seemed to be shocked at talent level. were talk of tourney amongst college coaches with sidelines packed every game .put up 69 goals and only allowing avg of 5 per game. great job!!!

Yes congratulations on a fine performance but beating up on the 4th DC Metro team and the 3rd LI Metro team is not exactly considered one of the top divisions. The team was excellent but next time try the top flight. The talent level of South Florida was excellent however I believe the scoring differential may have been a little different if you had played any of the Big Girls number 1 teams. Any truth to the rumor this was a 2020 club team ?
itsallgood

New postby rollwithit on Tue May 29, 2018 3:59 pm

itsallgood wrote:Any truth to the rumor this was a 2020 club team ?

Would not be surprised by this at all. This was the case a couple years ago. Also, believe there are restrictions placed on practices allowed, and the Florida team said they had been practicing all the time. Florida has had pockets of talent for years, but still way behind other regions.
rollwithit

New postby sharpshooter7750 on Tue May 29, 2018 5:12 pm

I don't know where you get your info from but seems that some of the posters teams didn't fair very well. First of all. the team was not a 2020 club team, about 1/3 19's and remaining players 20's. Don't know where the rumor came from. Team was mostly comprised of the 2 largest club programs in the state many who have played against one another for years but never played with each other. Secondly, there was only one practice for about 45 mins and cut short by rain. Lastly, I Think there were 7 divisions with team playing either in the 2nd or 3rd from top. Not to shabby from girls from Florida. my guess is if the if playing the so called " big girls" this team still wins. I think the college coaches would feel the same way by the turnout on the sidelines. Oh by the way, player on this low level team took home honor of "best player" of tournament ( over 1200 girls). Please do your research before you try to minimalize the performance of the young women.
sharpshooter7750

New postby itsallgood on Tue May 29, 2018 5:44 pm

sharpshooter7750 wrote:I don't know where you get your info from but seems that some of the posters teams didn't fair very well. First of all. the team was not a 2020 club team, about 1/3 19's and remaining players 20's. Don't know where the rumor came from. Team was mostly comprised of the 2 largest club programs in the state many who have played against one another for years but never played with each other. Secondly, there was only one practice for about 45 mins and cut short by rain. Lastly, I Think there were 7 divisions with team playing either in the 2nd or 3rd from top. Not to shabby from girls from Florida. my guess is if the if playing the so called " big girls" this team still wins. I think the college coaches would feel the same way by the turnout on the sidelines. Oh by the way, player on this low level team took home honor of "best player" of tournament ( over 1200 girls). Please do your research before you try to minimalize the performance of the young women.

Please read my response again, I think you will find it has many compliments and they were honest ones. The only one using terms like " low level " or " not to shabby for girls from Florida" is yourself. If you are being honest I think you will agree that if the South Florida team played D.C. Metro1,Mass/RI, LI1,Baltimore Metro1 the scores would have been closer. The only disingenuous comments were made by yourself. South Florida's play speaks for itself ( excellent), perhaps the chip on your shoulder affected your response.
itsallgood

New postby Schadenfreudean on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:55 pm

In a story about Erin Bakes earning the Under Armour All-American game MVP award, Florida Lacrosse News throws some shade at the All-American voting process: "A great achievement for a young lady that was not granted All American status locally . . ."

She was an All-American in 2016 and 2017, but the powers that be denied her that honor this year.
Schadenfreudean

New postby FLLaxDad on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:23 pm

Schadenfreudean wrote:In a story about Erin Bakes earning the Under Armour All-American game MVP award, Florida Lacrosse News throws some shade at the All-American voting process: "A great achievement for a young lady that was not granted All American status locally . . ."

She was an All-American in 2016 and 2017, but the powers that be denied her that honor this year.

Bakes is an outstanding player. IMO one of the top 5 players in the state(let alone her region) the last 3 years. She should be an impactful player at the next level in college. She had by far the hardest shot in FHSAA girls lacrosse and harder than most of the boys. The same coaches that did not vote for her for AA would without a doubt started her on their own teams and then pushed her for AA. - Hopefully, the HS accolades will matter little this time next year.
FLLaxDad

New postby Schadenfreudean on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:34 pm

FLLaxDad wrote:The same coaches that did not vote for her for AA would without a doubt started her on their own teams and then pushed her for AA.

Is there any region of the country that has figured out how make the voting process more fair? There were some eye-rollers in Central Florida, but this omission is shamefully egregious.
Schadenfreudean

New postby Creators-Game on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:38 pm

Decisions regarding who makes the team and who doesn’t has always been political just like in any other sport. Lacrosse selections for the Florida teams are based not on talent but on who plays for whose club team or high school team. Until that is changed the overlooked better players will continue to be overlooked. There is a large amount of money to be made so of course the selections will be done to keep the cash register in operation. Look at the LaxManiax coach as a example. She has her hands on every aspect of the game. Unless you play for her club, you what chance do you have of marking a team in which she is the national director?
Creators-Game

New postby sharpshooter7750 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:07 pm

What team are you referring to?
sharpshooter7750

New postby Creators-Game on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:18 pm

Creators-Game

New postby sharpshooter7750 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:04 am

interesting. never heard of this team and not aware of anybody who has even tried out.
sharpshooter7750

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Girls' High School Lacrosse