Division II vs DivisionI/III

Issues that span division/level, including training, drills, and camps

Division II vs DivisionI/III

New postby Superfreak3 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi there,

I was just wondering something about the different divisions in women's lacrosse. Around my area it just seems that all talk is about Division I and III programs with little attention paid to Division II. Is this just a misperception on my part or is there a feeling out there that Division II programs are somehow inferior.

I know that it all boils down to finding the right fit, regardless of division (at least in our case) but this is just something that has been on my mind so I thought I would ask here.

As it stands now, my daughter is really liking a Division II school/program and the feeling seems to be mutual. She certainly doesn't care and neither do I, again, just wondering.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Superfreak3

Re: Division II vs DivisionI/III

New postby Sorg67 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:12 pm

My son plays for Tampa - a division II school. I sometimes also feel like the D II schools sort of get neglected. However, my son is very much enjoying his experience at Tampa - both athletically and academically so I guess the rest of it does not matter.
Sorg67

New postby Superfreak3 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:25 pm

That is how my daughter is looking at it also. She wants to play lacrosse at a school she likes. We've stressed picking a school where she would want to be without lacrosse.

One of her plan B school seems to have very nice coaches and my daughter feels she would fit in with the team. She's not particularly fond of the campus and when asked if she can see herself there without lacrosse, she replied, "probably not". Enough said.

She doesn't really care about the divisions either.
Superfreak3

New postby commonesnes on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:34 am

There is no right or wrong answer or choice. For whatever reason the top D III schools and most of the D I schools are probably better lacrosse wise than any of the D II schools. Another phenomena is that the D II schools often are considered to be less attractive or at least ranked lower academically than schools with comparable or better lacrosse programs in Div I or Div III. IMO opinion kids should go to the school were they fit best, academically, socially, and athletically. OF course, inevitably financial benefit differences also are a valid consideration.
commonesnes

New postby greyhairlaxer on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:38 pm

What you are saying is off base. The top ten in Division II would be very close to the Top ten in D III and better than the bottom ten in DI. There are many excellent academic schools in D II. It comes down to choice. Look at Dowling last year. If you don't think they would be top ten in DIII you don't know lax.
greyhairlaxer

New postby addicted2lax on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:21 am

Well put greyhair. The choice cant be about liking a coach ( or very low importance on the list)JMHO. Should absolutely have to be about the fit socially and academically. Best of luck in your search!
addicted2lax

New postby SticksUpLAX on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:49 am

If you are interested in checking out a lot of D3 teams in action, check out the Spring Fling tournament down in Delray Beach, Florida in March. Those girls can play!
SticksUpLAX

New postby mdialg on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Whether it be D-I, D-II or D-III in WLax all of these young ladies play at a high level. There is more practice involved at a D-I school than at D-ii and D-III schools based on my discussion with others. However, remember at the end of the day, this is an opportunity to get an education for life ...whereas lacrosse is only four years.....so select the school that is "right."
mdialg

Sponsor

Return to General Lacrosse Forum