How to get better for D1 College Tryouts

Issues that span division/level, including training, drills, and camps

How to get better for D1 College Tryouts

New postby LSMXD on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:25 pm

Hello I just got accepted to a D1 college (Hofstra) and I wanted to play for the lacrosse team. I already sent in a questionnaire and an email to the coach explaining to the coach that I just pick up the sport in my Junior year of high school and that my high school does not have a high school team. My question is there anyone in the Burlington, NJ area that plays lacrosse and that could help me train or train with me to get use to playing different types of people. And also any tips on how to get better beside Wall ball and shooting drills(which I do every day). Here are some vitals to help out with advice

I Am
5'9
I play SSDM(what i want to do in college) and LSM(Like to play but like the mobility of the short stick better)
I wall ball on my apartment outside wall and shoot in 4 small corner boxes on my back wall in my backyard

Thank You for any advice that people give me to get better and to get ready
LSMXD

Re: How to get better for D1 College Tryouts

New postby LSMXD on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:08 pm

Can anyone suggest any adult summer leagues in the Burlington, NJ area?
LSMXD

New postby lionlaxfan on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:54 pm

LSMXD I don't want to disappoint you but walking on to a Top 25 D-1 team will be very difficult. If you aren't invited, that is asked to come try out by coaching staff I wouldn't bother. Since you haven't been recruited and it sounds like your experience is limited, I would suggest contacting the Hofstra Club lacrosse team. I'm sure they will invite you. The club team plays competitive lacrosse against mostly other Northeast clubs that also have NCAA teams. They play in the National Collegiate Lacrosse League against college club teams like Princeton, UMASS, Rutgers, Drexel, Stony Brook, Fordham, Temple,etc. They play about 12-15 games in the spring and another 5 in the fall. They practice about twice a week and have a few players that tried out for the NCAA team or played on it but decided that the D-1 commitment was too much. Hope this info helps, good luck !
lionlaxfan

New postby DurhamD on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:56 pm

lionlaxfan, You nailed it.

LSMXD, try the Club team as a freshman. If you are a stud....the varsity team will find you.
DurhamD

New postby FSCLax on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Agree with the replies above.

I'm curious, however, on the thinking behind a high level D1 coach inviting an non-recruited incoming freshman to tryout. I've heard of walk ons in the goal and as FOGO but it would seem that any field player good enough to play at that level is pretty much of a known commodity in high school.

Thanks.
FSCLax

New postby duggand on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:28 am

Sound advice
duggand

New postby Drip11 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:32 am

I actually wrote a blog post about this recently if you want to check it out and download the EBook I made... :dance:

http://www.lacrossestudio.com/private-l ... in-college

Ultimately, a lot of what was said above is pretty spot on. Also, I was a smaller guy myself coming out of high school - getting into the gym (in the right ways) will also be a big help - there will be some big boys on the squad at Hofstra.
Drip11

New postby AUlax01 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:34 pm

Honestly, if you're looking to play SSDM, as long as you can catch and throw and are athletic, you might have a shot. Colleges are always looking for a solid transition player.
AUlax01

Sponsor

Return to General Lacrosse Forum