Recruiting Video Tips

Issues that span division/level, including training, drills, and camps

Recruiting Video Tips

New postby Lax Goalie Rat on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:46 pm

I've searched the forums but can't find any info.

I'm looking for tips on how to put together a great recruiting video to show universities.

Obviously we want to include game footage but should we also include practice footage and/or a brief interview. What type of game footage should the video contain?

Other other tips for making a great recruiting video? Hope to help out my kids getting into D1, D2 programs.

Thanks for the help!
Damon
Lax Goalie Rat

Re: Recruiting Video Tips

New postby heizenburg on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:00 pm

I'm not a pro,expert, or coach but I did a few for my son's and they worked out well and got them where they wanted to go. And I spoke to coaches about the monotony of watching videos...but they do watch every one they get!
Some things I learned:
1. Get up as high as you can and put your camera on a tripod if possible, clear HD video is great.
2. Pan out and show what's happening on the field, not just with your kid...they want to see the situation in context of game flow.
3. Show diversity of skills...Offense, defence, dodging, passing, teamwork, etc. I actually counted how many clips of each was in the final video so I knew there was skill diversity represented.
4. Its not a music video, don't worry about music.
5. Make sure your child's basic facts and contact info, school, club team, height, weight, other sports,etc are in the video at the beginning or end.
6. Identify where your child is in the action, it's not always apparent with how fast the game moves. This requires some editing skills/software.
7. Don't make it extremely long, get to the good stuff.
8. Go online and look up videos of players you know made it to the levels your child is trying to attain. They are all over youtube if you search. It's a good frame of reference for skill levels and ideas for how to shoot.
9. Post the video on youtube and send the link to coaches in an email FROM YOU CHILD expressing interest to play. Most college team websites also have a spot where you can fill in your info and provide links to your video.
10. The coaches know your kids not perfect, show how they react in a game when the shot doesn't go in or they miss a slide etc, they want to see how they react to the circumstances and get back in the game.

I hope this helps a bit. Good Luck.
heizenburg

New postby Lax Goalie Rat on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:05 pm

Wow, awesome stuff heizenburg. I really appreciate it!
Lax Goalie Rat

New postby Coach McD on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:01 am

heizenburg wrote:2. Pan out and show what's happening on the field, not just with your kid...they want to see the situation in context of game flow.

6. Identify where your child is in the action, it's not always apparent with how fast the game moves. This requires some editing skills/software.

9. Post the video on youtube and send the link to coaches in an email FROM YOU CHILD expressing interest to play. Most college team websites also have a spot where you can fill in your info and provide links to your video.

10. The coaches know your kids not perfect, show how they react in a game when the shot doesn't go in or they miss a slide etc, they want to see how they react to the circumstances and get back in the game.

I hope this helps a bit. Good Luck.

Very much these 4 points.

If I may add, from watching 1000s of videos:

11. show plays of your player off ball highlighting his/her performance in a non-ball carrying role to illustrate that they do not stand around & wait for the rock. show that they can create diversion cuts & set quality picks.
facebook.com/CoachCaseyMcDonald +ThirdCoastLacrossePodio
twitter.com/CoachCaseyMcD + @thirdcoastpodio
Instagram: @coachcaseymcdonald + @_thirdcoastpodio_

Third Coast Lacrosse Podio Creator/Host
https://soundcloud.com/user-199077081
#GrowTheGame
Coach McD

New postby Lax Goalie Rat on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks for the additional point Coach McD. Great one!
Lax Goalie Rat

Sponsor

Return to General Lacrosse Forum