Advice for a player who is between HighSchool and College

Issues that span division/level, including training, drills, and camps

Advice for a player who is between HighSchool and College

New postby ghh on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:23 am

I would appreciate advice to help out my son. His situation is somewhat unique and I don’t see anything in searching to point directly at his issues.

My son played high school lax in the midwest (Missouri, Oklahoma and Arkansas) and graduated last year. He was a pretty big fish in a VERY TINY pond so I have very little ability to judge his skill level against the best players in the country. Scored 60+ goals his junior and senior seasons. His grades are good enough to get into any school. And I realize that a scholarship isn’t happening.

He has taken a gap year after high school and moved to Long Island to try to see if he can get a better idea about where he wants to/can play college lacrosse.

He has been learning the lesson that walking on to a D1 team is probably not a thing that happens very often. And with recruiting classes pretty much filled up for 2-4 years at the top level schools, he is now debating his options.

As I see it he can do one of 4 things:

1- Shoot for the moon and get himself admitted to a top level school that he would like even if he didn’t make the team and then try to “Rudy” himself into a walkon/tryout situation and be happy that he tried if he doesn’t make it.

(This is very likely, given reality, to end up with him playing club ball in college.)

2 - aim lower and get admitted to a lower level school and have higher chances of walking on/trying out.

3 - do some type of PG year at one of the prestigious High School programs. Being from the midwest - I have no idea whether this is a good idea or not. Does a PG year for a completely UNRECRUITED player help at all with getting to play on a (decent) college team?

4- Go to a good community college that has traditionally sent kids to D1/D3 teams.

5- ?? Any other suggestions sincerely appreciated .
ghh

Re: Advice for a player who is between HighSchool and College

New postby lionlaxfan on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:08 pm

If he is on Long Island already, Nassau (County) Community College is usually ranked in the top 3 in NJCAA rankings and routinely send kids to top D1,2,3 schools as transfers. I don't know if they cut, but I would assume they let anyone try out. Suffolk(County) Community College also has a team that is usually ranked. He might have a better chance of seeing playing time there. There are also a few summer leagues for college players where he should play to see if he can compete. The players are from all NCAA divisions. I don't know if you need to be invited or you can just sign up. Try asking on the college/JUCO threads for more info.
lionlaxfan

New postby ghh on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:52 pm

Thanks for the JUCO info. And he is looking into the summer leagues.
ghh

New postby Strazz4 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:29 pm

My son did a PG year at one of the Founders league schools in CT. All the better players in the league are going D1, and many more are going D3 Nescac which is really good Lacrosse. My son is now playing D1 and the PG Year was the best thing for him both academically and athletically and he got a scholarship so didn’t cost much! By the way the Founders league is one of the most competitive leagues in the country!
Strazz4

Sponsor

Return to General Lacrosse Forum