Greatest Lacrosse Player Ever?!

Issues that span division/level, including training, drills, and camps

Greatest Lacrosse Player Ever?!

New postby calax_parent on Thu May 26, 2005 1:12 pm

This is a wonderful article that was recently written about possibly the best lacrosse player ever... Jim Brown. Yes, the same Jim Brown who is best known as being possibly the best football player ever.

Enjoy reading more here: http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-lacrosse-jimbrown&prov=ap&type=lgns

P.S. As is noted in the article, Jim Brown played for Manhasset, NY.
calax_parent

New postby blombro on Thu May 26, 2005 1:34 pm

Yep, in this part of the country spring football is known as lacrosse.
blombro

New postby kayak on Thu May 26, 2005 1:53 pm

calaxparent -

He is the greatest to have ever played IMO. I saw him play at Hopkins in the North-South game many, many years ago and he shredded, ran around, ran over the South for 6 goals. I think 4-5 were one-handed! Simply amazing!
kayak

New postby calax_parent on Thu May 26, 2005 2:02 pm

kayak wrote:He is the greatest to have ever played IMO. I saw him play at Hopkins in the North-South game many, many years ago and he shredded, ran around, ran over the South for 6 goals. I think 4-5 were one-handed! Simply amazing!

You know that by admitting this, you're showing your age a little bit. :D

To have had the opportunity to see him play ANY sport is special!
calax_parent

New postby twoin on Thu May 26, 2005 2:38 pm

Can you imagine the bull dodge? He must have just annihilated people.
twoin

New postby SJLaxman on Fri May 27, 2005 5:12 am

I've said this before... Imagine Jim Brown coming down on the fast break.. What are you going to do... hit him? Run with him... Better bring friends... lots of em!
-=(A day without lacrosse is like nine innings of baseball.)=-
SJLaxman

New postby woodenstick on Tue May 31, 2005 6:33 pm

SJLaxman wrote:I've said this before... Imagine Jim Brown coming down on the fast break.. What are you going to do... hit him? Run with him... Better bring friends... lots of em!

Get out of the way, that is why you have a goaltender. :D
woodenstick

New postby SJLaxman on Tue May 31, 2005 6:42 pm

My father was at SU in 55. He said he saw many defensive backs get out of the way and they didn't even have a goalie! Some did in the pro's as well.
-=(A day without lacrosse is like nine innings of baseball.)=-
SJLaxman

New postby laxgoal2 on Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:21 pm

yes, jim brown is the best player ever if you look at players in the times they played. what i mean by this is that the rules were different back then. jim brown would just put his stick against his chest and run through people. im not saying this is bad, it's smart because it wasnt against the rules. but if you look at lacrosse the way it is now, more of a skilled game, jim brown isnt even near the top. if we're talking about college, even though he was so recent, mike powell is up there, as well as casey, ryan, the gaits, tillman johnson, greg catt., players like that.
laxgoal2

New postby Lax_Ref on Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:58 pm

laxgoal2 wrote:yes, jim brown is the best player ever if you look at players in the times they played. what i mean by this is that the rules were different back then. jim brown would just put his stick against his chest and run through people.

There was an artile about this in Lacrosse Magazine, and IIRC they said that this claim is an unsubstantiated rumor. They interviewed officials who said he'd have been called for withholding the ball from play.

Don't forget, Jim Brown grew up playing lacrosse; he wasn't just some football player that learned a dirty trick and ran over everyone.

BTW, I've read that he used to be able to score one-handed from the top of the box.

It is unfortunate that he's had some problems with his personal life. Domestic violence is so not cool.
-LaxRef
Lax_Ref

Brown

New postby fan on Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:54 pm

fan

Schaap

New postby rc13 on Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:01 pm

woodenstick wrote:
SJLaxman wrote:I've said this before... Imagine Jim Brown coming down on the fast break.. What are you going to do... hit him? Run with him... Better bring friends... lots of em!

Get out of the way, that is why you have a goaltender. :D

One of the opposing goaltenders was Dick Schaap at Cornell. I heard him say on ESPN that Brown took nine shots on him in a particular game, and Schaap was proud to have actually seen one of them (as it went by him).

Schaap was probably being modest. See this excerpt from his obituary in the Cornell Chronicle (http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/0 ... /obit.html):

Probably the most notable lacrosse game during Schaap's athletic career was on May 18, 1955. Syracuse barely beat Cornell 13-12, scoring the winning goal with about a minute left in double overtime. Syracuse's Jim Brown, who would later become a National Football League legend, scored four goals against Schaap, who made 20 saves in that game.
rc13

New postby the one on Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:34 pm

i'd take ryan wade over jim brown any day.
"In duck hunting, there's world champion duck callers and world champion duck killers. I'm a duck killer." --Phil Robertson
the one

New postby Mike on Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:41 pm

Jonathan Reese
Mike

New postby sore+old on Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:15 am

From Uniondale,Long Island in the 1960's.Navy's own Jimmy Lewis.
sore+old

Re: Schaap

New postby TomL on Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:01 pm

rc13 wrote:One of the opposing goaltenders was Dick Schaap at Cornell.

at halftime of a 90's NCAA championship butchered by CBS, i heard Dick Schaap say: "compared to his ability as a lacrosse player, jim brown was a --- 'pretty good' --- football player."

that pretty much sums it up
"Well, they CALL me Hurr-i-cane, and I LOVE to play gui-tar" - S..R..V
TomL

New postby packlax on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:45 pm

it looks like none of you saw Rick Dudley play. He led the NLL in both scoring and penalty minutes.1974 or 1975.
packlax

dudley

New postby TomL on Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:00 am

"Scouts ?"
"Well, they CALL me Hurr-i-cane, and I LOVE to play gui-tar" - S..R..V
TomL

its a different game today

New postby RADlax4 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:09 pm

big deal about rick dudley. the nll is not the same as outdoor lacrosse. and i also beleive that jim brown revolutionized larosse but he was scoring goals when it wasn't nearly as fast or as competitive as the college or pro game is today. we should take into account the players that can stand up and score hat tricks every game at this new revolutionized level of play, like, now i know i'll be jumping oon the band wagon when i say this and i might get some remarks but Gary Gait.
RADlax4

New postby RADlax4 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:14 pm

i just read over the forum and i need to correct my self the player who i thought iwas talking about wasn't jim brown but instead Jim Lewis. Jim brown was just like everyother football player out there hitting and shooting, he just happened to be bigger than most guys but jim lewis was the one who revolutionized the game. before it was just big oafs running aroiund but he changed the game. do you know who invented the split dodge and was the first one to use there offhand. Jim lewis but i still believe what i said before
RADlax4

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Lacrosse Forum