How do I ... ?

Questions, answers, and discussion about forum features

How do I ... ?

New postby DakotaDan on Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:55 am

Please the see the FAQ (frequently asked questions) link at the top-center for information about how to use the numerous features of the forum. Chances are that you will find the answers to your question(s) there.

When trying out never-before-used features in your posts (and, frankly, it's good idea any time you are making more than a "plain vanilla" post), use the Preview button to ensure that things look as you wish before clicking Submit.
DakotaDan
Site Admin

Re: How do I ... ?

New postby Ozmandius on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:41 pm

A number of my family members and some college buddies want to close out their accounts with laxpower.I want to instruct them on how THEY can do this.Thank you.
“Bigotry may be roughly defined as the anger of men who have no opinions”. GK Chesterton
Ozmandius

New postby dislaxxic on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm

So, i've seen some pictures posted that run off the page to the right, but that have a "slide bar" that allows you to pan the picture to the left to see it the hidden portion of the picture...

Is there some manual process to accomplish this? It seems that the upward limit of pixel size needed to get a whole picture into the standard LP Forum frame is about 480x480 or so, up to maybe 600x600-ish.

How to get that "slider bar" in there for a picture that spills out of the standard frame...

Anyone?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

New postby zenpig on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:27 pm

dislaxxic wrote:So, i've seen some pictures posted that run off the page to the right, but that have a "slide bar" that allows you to pan the picture to the left to see it the hidden portion of the picture...

Is there some manual process to accomplish this? It seems that the upward limit of pixel size needed to get a whole picture into the standard LP Forum frame is about 480x480 or so, up to maybe 600x600-ish.

How to get that "slider bar" in there for a picture that spills out of the standard frame...

Anyone?

Top image is a direct link to an image hosted somewhere else and bottom image is same one though done as an uploaded attachment.

Before posting I know the top one will be cut pretty dramatically to not "break" the message div but we'll see on the attachment one. I run a pretty busy forum using the same phpBB forum software and there's multiple ways to set up to display images.

[edit]...hm, that was a bit unexpected on how they have the attachment view. breaks way out horizontally. Is that what you are talking about dislaxxic?[/edit]
Attachments
DSC_3106_sm.jpg
DSC_3106_sm.jpg (226.15 KiB) Viewed 5168 times
zenpig

New postby dislaxxic on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 am

yes! That is what i was wondering about. I'll have to experiment...so you're saying that simply uploading a file (image or otherwise) will get it to display in it's entirety, apparently telescoping out to screen right to do that...i wonder what, if any, limitations come with this technique. :think:

Also, if any of the Board Mods would care to chime in...does uploading a larger image or file have any kind of deleterious or negative effect on the board generally...using up storage space or effecting performance in any way?

Thanks, Zenpig...that's what i was looking for. Sometimes you can only find one size of a given image...and i've been unable (til now) to find a way to get them posted... :mrgreen:

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

New postby zenpig on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:21 pm

There is a size limitation on what you can upload, 256Kb if I remember right, to prevent their server from filling up with large image files. There's some pretty cool modifications to the message board which would display the images full size when linked to from somewhere else but don't know if they are unaware of them or there is some technical reason they are not being used.
zenpig

New postby WOMBAT on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:11 pm

How do I... complain to the ACTIVE folks?

Is there a human POC? Telephone number? Email address? Snail mail address? Physical address? Trick or treat address?
WOMBAT, Moderator Emeritus
Make Hopkins Lacrosse Great Again!
VOTE WOMBAT - President 2020
WOMBAT

New postby dislaxxic on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Is there a thread around here somewhere to talk about ways to increase traffic to the LaxPower website??

dislaxxic

New postby gafferhexam on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:12 am

Can anyone help me find "the report function"?
"The rooty toot toot of the very mi-nute, the booty boot of the band, the cutey cute cute of the less than astute shivers and shudders the land." (From the Jack Acid Society Black Book as told to Walt Kelly)
gafferhexam

New postby thatsmell on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 am

There is an exclamation mark in a triangle... next to the quote button.
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby gafferhexam on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:12 am

How do I change my PW?
"The rooty toot toot of the very mi-nute, the booty boot of the band, the cutey cute cute of the less than astute shivers and shudders the land." (From the Jack Acid Society Black Book as told to Walt Kelly)
gafferhexam

Sponsor

Return to Using the Forum: Tips and Questions