Spell Check Question

Questions, answers, and discussion about forum features

Spell Check Question

New postby oldfogo on Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:34 pm

the new forum AND spell check is great. thanks.

is there a way to input or "learn" words into spell check so that we don't have to keep "ignoring" unknown but desired or correct words? i realize that this is probably a collective spell check dictionary for the forum functionality and you may not want our desired words in :). understood.

however, would there be a way we could input or have the system "learn" some acceptable words (particularly lacrosse re;ated words - like scrapple) that might arise time and again?

I'd volunteer to help input words acceptable to and screened by you all and you could even do a background check with my 6th grade spelling teacher, Mrs. Crabtree.

let me know if i can help.
oldfogo

Re: Spell Check Question

New postby DakotaDan on Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:06 pm

oldfogo wrote:is there a way to input or "learn" words into spell check so that we don't have to keep "ignoring" unknown but desired or correct words? i realize that this is probably a collective spell check dictionary for the forum functionality and you may not want our desired words in :). understood.

The dictionary used by the spell checker appears to reside in a server file that is outside our "web space." As such, it would require some attention from the "server guy" (read $$) in addition to us, you, or whomever.

I'll add the item to the ever-growing list of things we might do. However, we have invested in hundreds of hours of assistance for dozens of modifications to the forum and other site features (much of it infrastructure), so it's time to put the brakes on for a while, I'm afraid.
DakotaDan
Site Admin

Re: Spell Check Question

New postby commonlax on Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:35 pm

DakotaDan wrote:
oldfogo wrote:is there a way to input or "learn" words into spell check so that we don't have to keep "ignoring" unknown but desired or correct words? i realize that this is probably a collective spell check dictionary for the forum functionality and you may not want our desired words in :). understood.

The dictionary used by the spell checker appears to reside in a server file that is outside our "web space." As such, it would require some attention from the "server guy" (read $$) in addition to us, you, or whomever.

I'll add the item to the ever-growing list of things we might do. However, we have invested in hundreds of hours of assistance for dozens of modifications to the forum and other site features (much of it infrastructure), so it's time to put the brakes on for a while, I'm afraid.

understood. not a problem. the forum is a wonderful opportunity for all. thanks.
commonlax

Sponsor

Return to Using the Forum: Tips and Questions