Navigating the Forum: New Post Flags and Sorting Topics

Questions, answers, and discussion about forum features

Navigating the Forum: New Post Flags and Sorting Topics

New postby DakotaDan on Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:54 pm

To enhance your viewing of the forums, please take some time with the description of the navigation features below. A strategy that may work well for many of you is as follows:

(1) Look over the information below.

(2) Read as much of what interests you in each of the forums.

(3) Proceed to the last section on "Marking All Topics as Read" and "turn off" the new post flags for the remaining unread messages (presumably not of interest).

(4) From this point forward, when new posts appear, the flags on the forum index page, described in the first section below, should become useful to you.

The Forum Index Page

On the index page, there is a list of available forums. To the left of each forum is a button that indicates or flags whether that forum has topics with posts you have not read. For example, consider the portion of the index page show below. In this example, there are no topics with unread posts in the Men's Lacrosse forum (the graphic in the button is white) while there are on the Women's Lacrosse forum (the graphic in the button is orange).

Forum Topics Pages

If you then clicked on Women's Lacrosse, you would reach that forum's topics page. Buttons or icons are also used here to identify or flag which topics contain posts that you have not viewed. In the graphic below, the second topic (Scholarships) has a white icon in the column to its left, meaning that it contains no unread posts. However, the first topic (Growth and Level of Play) has an orange icon, so this topic contains posts that have not been viewed. Notice also the black arrow and "mini-page" in orange immediately to the left of Growth.

If you clicked on Growth and Level of Play, you would be taken to the top of the thread and would, therefore, have to scroll to the bottom to find the most recent posts. However, a click on the small orange page-icon immediately to the left of Growth would take you directly to the post(s) not yet read, which is certainly much more efficient.

Topic Ordering and Sorting

The default or "normal" ordering of topics results in those with the most recent replies appearing at the top. As such, the order of the listing is likely to change each time you visit a forum. On our old forum, topics were listed in the order in which they were posted, and that order did not change.

To change the default ordering temporarily, use "Select sort method" above and to the right of the topics list (see graphic below). To order topics according to when they were first posted (a la the old forum), change the sort method to Date (and leave the order Descending). This setting will hold only for this forum's topics list as long as you are there. If you revisit this forum or go to another, the sort method will have to be changed to Date once again if that is what you prefer.

Marking All Topics as Read

If you've read whatever interests you on a forum but still have some or perhaps many posts that are flagged as unread, you may wish to use the link located just above the sort selector discussed in the previous paragraph. Shown below, the "Mark all topics read" link can be used to "turn off" the orange graphics for all items in a forum's topics list. That in turn will be helpful, as the new-posts button for that forum on the index page will then be functional.

You can do the same "turn off" procedure for all forums at once if you wish. On the forum index page, there is a "Mark all forums read" link just below the last forum and above the "Who is Online" section, as shown in the graphic below.

DakotaDan
Site Admin

New postby laxmomania on Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:21 pm

Thank you for the Lax Forum tutorial. It's like I'm in my own little classroom with no need to raise my hand, although I am sure I look like a complete idiot reading aloud and encouraging myself. By the time my son graduates in June I'll probably have this all figured out. It's not the speed at which you get there it's the journey.
laxmomania

Regarding NEW posts flagging - Guest vs Logged-In

New postby Pluvious on Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:57 pm

Maybe this note should be in its own thread, but...

This forum tries to track your "NEW" and "READ" topic threads, however...

It can know you as TWO different users:
1. You as "Guest"
2. You as logged in with your account name

So, this could be confusing to peeps if they didn't realize this detail...

Meanwhile, I think I've fixed the "exploded cookies" bug a few have been hit with.
The allowed size was 300, and I lowered it to 250, hopefully that will solve the issue.

-JAS

(note: there's lots of special features)
Last edited by Pluvious on Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?
Pluvious

thread sorting question

New postby WeWantMore on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:43 pm

Is there any way for you to put the "newest first" box also on the top bar of the thread or to make the choice "sticky" for all threads at least for the visit?

Thanks for all your hard work on the transition to the new forums.
WeWantMore

Re: thread sorting question

New postby DakotaDan on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:41 pm

WeWantMore wrote:Is there any way for you to put the "newest first" box also on the top bar of the thread or to make the choice "sticky" for all threads at least for the visit?

Thanks for all your hard work on the transition to the new forums.

Those don't sound like easy modifications. We've already done considerable work to provide more and better "new" post tracking for both registered users and (especially) guests than you'll find at most forums, at least those using phpBB or vBulletin, and I'm not sure we can invest more right now, as we have several other things in the works. Can I suggest that you live with the current set-up for a while and contact me later to say how you feel about the navigation options then?
DakotaDan
Site Admin

New postby WeWantMore on Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:05 am

Can I suggest that you live with the current set-up for a while and contact me later to say how you feel about the navigation options then?

It's not a big deal really. Much more of a nit. If it isn't easy, by all means don't do it on my account.

It's just that if one is following posts in a certain thread rather closely, newest first as a default is preferable. Having to track to the bottom to change sort order each time doesn't help much since by then you're already at the bottom. If you pick newest first then it isn't very useful since you must then go back to the top of the thread. That's why having the sort choice at the top bar would be useful. Especially for multipage posts.

Again, thanks for all your tireless hard work. :!:
WeWantMore

New postby DakotaDan on Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:27 am

I misunderstood what you were asking for but am not sure it's needed (that's if I am understanding you now!) ...

When you view a forum's topic list, those topics with new replies have an orange icon in the left-hand column. If you then click on the TOPIC TITLE, you will be taken to the FIRST (i.e., oldest) post in the thread. That's a pain in the posterior if you're interested in new replies only.

However, if you click on the LITTLE SQUARE ORANGE ICON to the left of the topic title, you will be taken to the first NEW reply that you have not viewed previously. No sort is needed, posts stay in chronological order, and you don't have to scroll through old replies.

Doesn't that reduce or eliminate the need for the sort you mentioned?
DakotaDan
Site Admin

Brilliant

New postby WeWantMore on Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:36 pm

Oh. :idea: Never mind. :oops:
WeWantMore

Quoting people

New postby BartFan on Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:18 pm

I have struggled and have yet to be able to learn how to quote people properly. I have had no trouble quoting but I can never get it to be in Bold letters saying who I was quoting. Any tips would help greatly. Thank you.

BartFan
And why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up.
BartFan

New postby mandy on Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:35 am

click the qoute button on their reply and it will say

BartFan wrote:I have struggled and have yet to be able to learn how to quote people properly. I have had no trouble quoting but I can never get it to be in Bold letters saying who I was quoting. Any tips would help greatly. Thank you.

BartFan

the code used for this is:
Code: Select all
[quote="BartFan"]I have struggled and have yet to be able to learn how to quote people properly.  I have had no trouble quoting but I can never get it to be in Bold letters saying who I was quoting.  Any tips would help greatly.  Thank you.

BartFan[/quote]

you'll notice it says quote="" instead of just quote

hoop it clears it up :D
mandy

New postby old guy on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:09 am

how do I stop my user name from appearing when i enter forum? Other people
use this computer and now they all know who I am.
old guy

New postby DakotaDan on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:59 pm

old guy wrote:how do I stop my user name from appearing when i enter forum? Other people
use this computer and now they all know who I am.

Use the "Logout" button (upper right) and then, when logging back in, uncheck the box that mentions "remember me" (or something such).
DakotaDan
Site Admin

Sponsor

Return to Using the Forum: Tips and Questions