Questions for D3 coaches regarding recruiting.

Questions for D3 coaches regarding recruiting.

New postby BigMikeLV on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:16 pm

I need to ask some questions regarding to what tools D3 Coaches really use to recruit.

1. Do all these "Elite Camps" mean anything?

2. Are there specific camps that D3 uses to recruit?

3. If my son plays on the West Coast but wants to play on the East Coast, what are REQUIRED camps/tournaments he needs to compete in?

4. Profit camp vs Prospect camps, college run or college coaches invited?
BigMikeLV

Re: Question for D3 coaches regarding recruiting.

New postby Leadfoot on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Have twins playing at different schools at D3 level. If your son has the grades/test scores for Nescac or similiar, I highly recommend the Top 150 camp in Rhode Island. Loaded with D3 coaches from excellent academic schools. Camp setup provides for a lot of exposure.
Leadfoot

New postby BigMikeLV on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:45 pm

He's only a 10th grader currently but has a 4.0625gpa at a college prep HS. He has a dream to be an orthopedic Surgeon so academics is number 1, but would love to play lacrosse at the next level. We have been looking attending the New England Top 150 Lacrosse Camp next summer. He wants to look at some schools so we would work around the camp.
BigMikeLV

New postby BigMikeLV on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Also...at what age/year do we really need to be hitting these camps.
BigMikeLV

New postby MrLax2U on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:41 am

Hey BigMike;
For D 3 (or D 1 for that matter) pick the school first. Academics, nice campus, weather etc. Hopefully your son will just clic on a visit and know that is the place for him. You need to take him on a couple college visit trips and see several schools. From your post it doesn't seem like he'll need help with admissions but if he does, that is where the coach comes in. Most schools give their men and women athletic teams slots or at least preferences for admissions. Sometimes coach submits a list and others it is a visit or two to go over some candidates who may or may not need the boost. That is where camps and "recruiting" come in which your son won't need. Send him to a camp only if there is nothing he'd rather do with that time (and money).

For a young man with your son's abilities a note to the coach from him, his HS coach or you will be all he needs for a try out. As a group with only one exception of whom I'm aware D 3 lax coaches are a great group of men who love their sport and helping their charges enjoy college and move on to become men.

Good luck to you and your son; hope to watch him play someday.
Last edited by MrLax2U on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrLax2U

New postby IDigClams on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 am

I agree with MrLax2U. I would also add that unless your son is a top D1 prospect that is already on lots of coach radars, he should not randomly attend any camps and assume some college coaches will notice him and start recruiting him from randomly seeing him at a camp. For most D3 players the recruiting process starts when the high Sophomore/Junior does his homework and targets some schools he would like to attend. Then he should reach out to the lax coach at those schools. Most schools have an online form the player can fill out that goes to the school's recruiting coordinator. The player should follow filling that form out with a phone call and email to the coach. The coach will probably ask for some game tape and school transcripts, so it doesn't hurt to have a 5-10 minute highlight tape and recent transcript that he can share with the schools/coaches he is targeting. And as MrLax2U said, ask the player's high school and summer club team coaches to reach out to the college coaches on their behalf. Most D3 coaches narrow their recruiting pool just by collecting transcripts, highlight tapes and calls from high school/club coaches.

Then once you have the conversation started with the colleges/coaches you are targeting, that's when you let them know which camps you are attending so the coaches can come see you play. I'd say the majority of the (D3-level) players being watched at camps are being watched because they already have conversations going on with some college coaches and coordinated with those coaches to go to a camp to see them play.

Best of luck to your son!
IDigClams

New postby Leadfoot on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:07 am

Coming from a non-hotbed, it was difficult to get the attention of a lot of East Coast coaches via emails that my sons sent out. Top 150 put them on the radar with those coaches.
Leadfoot

New postby MrLax2U on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:17 am

BigMike; Clams makes good points for you to keep in mind. I'd add only one thing; most schools with a little notice will arrange a campus tour for visiting prospective students and their parents. If you were to mention your son was a lax player, I bet the school would try to get someone from the lax team (or at least a student athlete) to lead your tour and answer questions.
MrLax2U

New postby BigMikeLV on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:18 am

Non-hot bed.... Sounds like the same thing with us. We are in Nevada.
BigMikeLV

New postby colonel83 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:25 am

My son did the Top 150 in Rhode Island several years ago- he felt it was the best of the camps he attended for actually having interaction with many D3 coaches. Loads of follow up afterwards, This was about 7 years ago though.
colonel83

New postby LaSallelaxer on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:38 am

For exposure to D3 Coaches have your Son attend Peak 200 at Springfield College in Mass. My son went as a rising junior and senior. Not much from the rising junior camp but the rising senior camp generated a ton of interest from D3 Coaches. The teams coached by D3 head and assistant coaches. You play a number of games during the week with coaches watching and taking notes. My son made the rising senior all-star game and I counted over 70 chairs on the far sideline. He got over 18 emails after the camp and ended up at a great school playing lacrosse because of it.
LaSallelaxer

New postby SchoolboyQ on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:54 am

Peak 200 isn't a thing anymore. If your son is vain and needs to be validated through the recruiting process then go to as many camps as you can and email every D3 coach in the country. My advice, pursue schools that fit from an academic, size, location, and affordability standpoint. Come up with a list of 5-7, try to visit them all and go to the prospect days of the top 3-4 choices. It's a two way street and coaches want to recruit athletes who want to go to their school.
SchoolboyQ

New postby LaSallelaxer on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:45 am

Too bad about Peak 200. Was a great location for the northeast and worked well for a bunch of kids that we know.
LaSallelaxer

New postby GeorgeBeers on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:29 pm

BigMikeLV...I'm a former DIII Asst. Coach and recruiting coordinator for 8 years, there are some valid points on this board. MrLax2u is spot in in terms of identifying a few schools that fit in terms of location, price, academics, etc...But with the current DIII landscape, and the high level of competition, you need to do more than email a coach with and present a shiny academic profile. I don't know any college coaches who are simply going to take a player at his word in terms of talent. They will talk to high school coaches obviously, but unless they have a long tenured relationship with that coach, his word won't hold a lot of weight either. And NO college coach wants a letter from a PARENT explaining why their child is a good fit. Parents certainly play a part in the recruiting process, but coaches want to deal primarily with the player, after all it's the player who the coach will be investing time/effort with over the next 4 years. The identification MIGHT get you a tryout, but no competitive program is going to offer a roster spot to a kid they've never seen play. And if you're talking about sending a kid to a NESCAC type school to play, I'd want to be assured my son was going to have a roster spot before I started paying a NESCAC type price.

The DIII landscape is growing rapidly. As coaches we hit as many events as possible. When I was on the road I would hit about 20 events June-July. Most camps/events will post what schools/programs have attended their events in the past. This is a good starting point if you want to send your son to a summer camp/recruiting event. Prospect Days at targeted schools are also great options. But, just because you drop $100 to play at a Prospect Day, doesn't mean that coach is going to offer you a spot. People also make a bigger deal about the hotbed vs. non-hotbed area. Sure, hotbed areas have more colleges/universities playing lacrosse, and there are some old school coaches who are regional recruiters. But at the end of the day if your kid from California is better than a kid from Boston, Long Island, or Baltimore, get him playing in front of a coach and the rest will take care of itself. My best advice, have your son contact the coaches of schools he's interested in, find out where they will be recruiting at/and also let them know where your son will be playing. Get some highlights and send that too. If they like the film, they'll find a way to see you in person. Happy hunting, and best of luck.
GeorgeBeers

New postby Tactful Lax on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:16 pm

I've had at least one son playing D3 lax since the 2011 season, and a dose of reality is that over half of those who start a D3 college lacrosse career do not play for 4 years. Choose a school over a program.
Tactful Lax

New postby HBHB on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:27 pm

Three sons went through this. Academics first! Will your son be happy with no playing time? Will he fit-in with the guys on team? Met West Coasters at NE Top 150. My favorite was Sports Recruits D3 Showcase and they have a winter showcase. Southern States Elite may be of interest ... a California goalie made an impressive showing there. Note that we were rejected by many of the schools we targeted and we attended camps that yielded nothing. We also got many offers we politely rejected. We got a pleasant surprise or two. This was time consuming and expensive. But we would do it all over again!
HBHB

New postby nosy ned on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:50 pm

Couldn't agree more - the coach or injury can take the stick out of his hand in an instant! He needs to still want to attend that school with or without lacrosse.

BTW - the numbers game insures a majority of recruits don't remain on the team for all 4 years. I'm talking the schools that have 45-50 helmets on game day. If they have 20 man recruiting class - even if it's a "strong" class, probably 10 will quit before junior year for myriad of reasons....(D3 lacrosse is a big time commitment - don't kid yourself). So do the math- say 15 soph; 10 jrs and 8 seniors -- add the 20 new freshmen and that is 53 kids for 45-50 spots! That's why the freshman class so big at most places. That said, IF you are lucky and have an exceptional class, you will see the next year recruiting class will be smaller allowing you to keep more of that now soph class.
nosy ned

New postby JJS on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:45 pm

Good to Great was, well, great! If you're looking at D3, it's a must-do.
JJS

New postby HBHB on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:59 pm

Some miscellaneous notes to assist you:

An injury prevented us from attending preplaxshowcase. And they don't give refunds. I compared our team's last recruiting class to the list at http://www.preplaxshowcase.com/page/sho ... ommitments and +80% of the freshman attended preplaxshowcase.

I sense that the top of NESCAC makes their decisions in the spring because their rising senior recruits are posted in mid July. IMO, you need to be seen by them as a rising junior.

Be sure to take the ACT or SAT early and often. An ACT of 32 is the golden ticket based on conversations with several top academic schools.
HBHB

New postby spintherock9 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:21 am

JJS wrote:Good to Great was, well, great! If you're looking at D3, it's a must-do.

Don't limit to USA Colleges....McGill U is one of worlds best U's....great lacrosse oppty and comp. Academics 1st!
spintherock9

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division III