Virginia 2011

Re: Virginia 2011

New postby Doid23 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:06 am

jhu6569 wrote:The ensuing finally triggered by the recent post of Hoozzat.

So? Is there any way that I can possibly phrase this message so as NOT to seem JHU-biased or full of hubris or elitist or simply voyeuristic? Probably not, given my fandom, my past posting history, and my currently perceived by others persona.

However, I will ask directly anyway. What exactly WAS the reason for the Bratton brothers one-game suspension? Certainly, given Coach Starsia's totally appropriate approach (IMO) to team discipline: there was some violation, but this clearly was not all that heinous (otherwise these players would not have been reinstated so soon).

IF some others of "you" out there know, truly, the facts? Why the silence?

Understand, this is NOT a really important deal for me personally. Coach Starsia needs no advice from any LP poster as to how to run his ship. He is one of the very, very best, all time at any institution.

However, simple curiosity does reign supreme often. Here my individual curiosity has finally compelled me to post this request. Certainly, I understand that there might be valid reasons for simply ignoring here. No problem. OR- I would be happy to entertain private responses via PMs that will remain private.

Wow, that was certainly a long and overly verbose way to ask"What did they do?" :wink:
Doid23

New postby cloverdale on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:07 am

Any other Wahoo fans in Syracuse tonight like I am?
Twitter: @tyxanders
cloverdale

New postby vtd on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:11 am

Doid23 wrote:

So? Is there any way that I can possibly phrase this message so as NOT to seem JHU-biased or full of hubris or elitist or simply voyeuristic? Probably not, given my fandom, my past posting history, and my currently perceived by others persona.

However, I will ask directly anyway. What exactly WAS the reason for the Bratton brothers one-game suspension? Certainly, given Coach Starsia's totally appropriate approach (IMO) to team discipline: there was some violation, but this clearly was not all that heinous (otherwise these players would not have been reinstated so soon).

Understand, this is NOT a really important deal for me personally. Coach Starsia needs no advice from any LP poster as to how to run his ship. He is one of the very, very best, all time at any institution.

However, simple curiosity does reign supreme often. Here my individual curiosity has finally compelled me to post this request. Certainly, I understand that there might be valid reasons for simply ignoring here. No problem. OR- I would be happy to entertain private responses via PMs that will remain private.

Wow, that was certainly a long and overly verbose way to ask"What did they do?" :wink:

Have you met our friend Mr 6569? :) Treat his posts as a reading comp SAT question. Read the first and last sentence, most of the middle is trying to confuse you.
Last edited by vtd on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
vtd

New postby Rockmaninoff on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:33 am

cloverdale wrote:Any other Wahoo fans in Syracuse tonight like I am?

I wish. :( Cheer for us down in Charlottesville!
Rockmaninoff

New postby dek on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:08 pm

cloverdale wrote:Any other Wahoo fans in Syracuse tonight like I am?

I think there are a few plus a ton of parents. Have fun. I've gotta catch this one on ESPN U.
dek

New postby wahoomurf on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Does UVA have a game this weekend? :o :lol: :D :o :lol: :D

SQUEEZE THE ORANGE !
The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a huge matter — 'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning. —Mark Twain
wahoomurf

New postby whip on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Great game. The Brattons are truly amazing atheletes. I love to watch them go at a fast jog while their d man is sprinting to keep pace. Malphrus had a few high hits, and the freshman Mcwilliams with many cheap, high hits and lots of penalties. Do y'all think they are dirty and Dom lets it all go, or was tonite an abberation re the dirty play?
whip

New postby Princeton75 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:29 pm

I think I know what the UVA players are hearing on the ride home D I S C I P L I N E .
Never debate an idiot....he will drag you down to his level and defeat you with experience.
Princeton75

New postby Wildcat-Lax on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Long time 'cuse fan here...Just got back from the game...I want to applaude the Cavs for display of great sportsmanship After the game was over both teams huddled with their coaches. UVA broke out of the huddle first and proceeded to line up to shake hands with the Orange...something you do not see often at the end of regular season college games. When SU broke huddle they started toward the locker room, then someone noticed the UVA players lined up and the two teams shook hands.

First class UVA...and man can those Bratten twins play
Wildcat-Lax

New postby ivylax01 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:43 pm

vtd wrote:
Doid23 wrote:

Have you met our friend Mr 6569? :) Treat his posts as a reading comp SAT question. Read the first and last sentence, most of the middle is trying to confuse you.

Now that's funny. I hear Virginia does not tolerate under age smoking.

Like everything else in life, the people who know aren't talking, everyone else is speculating. I am firmly plant in the later camp.
ivylax01

New postby jhu6569 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:57 pm

In reality, I have written some questions for the LCME Step 1 allopathic doctoral board examinations, and I soon anticipate writing a few questions for the Level 1 COMLEX examinations for potential osteopathic physicians. :D

SAT?? Juvenile stuff.

Very perspicacious, vtd. :clap:
"Pro bono humanum"
jhu6569

New postby ivylax01 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Wasn't Niedermeyer killed by his own troops? :ugeek:
ivylax01

New postby mimbster on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:52 pm

About the game tonight, it got kinda crazy towards the end there. Anyone think both teams were playing with chips on their shoulders? I think this will carry into the playoff, even though both sides have so much respect for one another. The competitiveness is so high for these players.
mimbster

New postby nrthcrosslax on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:56 pm

Wildcat-Lax wrote:Long time 'cuse fan here...Just got back from the game...I want to applaude the Cavs for display of great sportsmanship After the game was over both teams huddled with their coaches. UVA broke out of the huddle first and proceeded to line up to shake hands with the Orange...something you do not see often at the end of regular season college games. When SU broke huddle they started toward the locker room, then someone noticed the UVA players lined up and the two teams shook hands.

HUH? I have seen teams shake hands after every college game I have seen regular season or playoffs. Unless, I am missing some kind of sarcasm here. Teams always shake hands and I really doubt Cuse was walking off until they "noticed" UVA standing there.
nrthcrosslax

New postby sawmus on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:01 pm

The most undisciplined team so far although it is very early. No team defense and way too many stupid penalties to beat a team like Syracuse.
sawmus

New postby Touchdown312 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:22 pm

Wildcat-Lax wrote:Long time 'cuse fan here...Just got back from the game...I want to applaude the Cavs for display of great sportsmanship After the game was over both teams huddled with their coaches. UVA broke out of the huddle first and proceeded to line up to shake hands with the Orange...something you do not see often at the end of regular season college games. When SU broke huddle they started toward the locker room, then someone noticed the UVA players lined up and the two teams shook hands.

Seriously ... this is a joke right.... Wildcat next time stay for the whole game... Both teams shook hands as they always do after every game... even after some really dirty cheap hits... check out the game tapes.... Malphrus and the freshman Mcwilliams
Touchdown312

New postby Hoozzat on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:38 pm

2 goals in the 2nd half? Adam Ghitleman kept this respectable. So much for offensive adjustments!
Hoozzat

New postby Hoozzat on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:40 am

My analysis having been able to watch again. Just my opinions.

Goal- AG had a horrible start but got it turned around and played very well the rest of the game. This game could have been a 6-8 goal spread without his play after the 1st qtr. He kept UVA in this one.

Defense- Lovejoy had a quietly decent game on Marasco. Mostly denied #22 a path to the goal. McWilliams showed he is not quite ready for prime time. Penalties and poor off ball defense. I really don't get the Clements "experiment". He just doesn't seem that effective at close and attackmen seem to be able to run by him. Tough on him to be asked to carry a pole for the first time since HS from what I have read.

Midfield- 25/38 shots came from the midfield. As I've posted before the poor shooting percentage on the 1st line is an issue. Rhamel had a couple of very nice feeds, but needs to stop dropping the ball. Haldy is invisible offensively and a liability on defense. Shamel is Shamel - incredible individual athlete but his ball dominance seems to throw the rest of the offense off. LaPierre is a beast. Not a good sign when your 2 way midfielder totally outplays your 3 recruited FOGOs at the faceoff. Our wing play on faceoffs just isn't as good as many other teams. Emery has a nice shot from out top but needs to reduce his turnovers, especially on EMO.

Attack- I thought Steele wasn't nearly as bad as many people seem to think. Lade is a terrific defender. Steele works best when there is movement on offense - that disappeared at times. He did seem to miss a couple of shots that he normally makes. Bocklet is a pure catch and shoot player. Cuse did a good job of denying that by not venturing too far from him. The Mark Cockerton/White combination was terrible. Cockerton got off to a quick start when Guagadnoldo (?) slid early from him and Rhamel laid him up for a 1 on none dunk. Then there there was a non releasable illegal stick penalty. Both players missed a 1 on none, had numerous drops/strips. There was no push to the goal by the attack. No ride to speak of either.

EMO was 1/3. Cuse was 0/8. That could have made things ugly. The undisciplined play is a concern. Penalties all over the field - I can't remember the last time I've seen a goalie get 2 penalties and as one poster said "can't remember the last time I've seen 4 cats in the box"! At one point UVA had so many guys off the field I wasn't sure who could go over and who couldn't!. Between that type of play, the recent suspensions, the academic issues, I'm not sure this team has the focus to be successful. Finally, with under 2 minutes to go UVA got a breath of hope when Jovan Miller was accessed an unsportsmanlike penalty so UVA got the ball at midfield with 2 players of their own in the box. I have to think there was something better than asking LaPierre to dodge through 3 Cuse players. Reminded me of the last second "play" vs Duke in the semis last year.
Hoozzat

New postby maddog9718 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:55 am

Last night was the first time i've seen UVA this year.

Is Stanwick/Bocklet/Cockerton the first attack line? has it been this the whole season so far?
Go Heels
maddog9718

New postby TheyCallMeBruce on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:23 am

I was wondering the same thing. Where is Matt White?
TheyCallMeBruce

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division I