Indoor Lacrosse Drills

Strategies, questions, games wanted (open dates) and discussions about coaching at any level

Indoor Lacrosse Drills

New postby OMNLax on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:40 am

We just got hammered with a lot of snow, so it looks like we are going to have over 50 kids inside a 2 court gymnasium for at least a week or two.

Can anyone please suggest some productive drills they have used inside a gym before?

Thanks!!
OMNLax

New postby Laxjunkie on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:57 pm

We're in the same situation in WI. I do a lot of partner stick work and 2v3, 4v3 work. Here are my favorites that keep things moving with just one goal:

2 v 2 to a 3 v 2: Set up two lines of attack behind the goal, a line of D off to the side, and three lines of middies up top. 2 D poles are out above the GLE and start with the attackmen. Idea is to have the D poles turn the ball carrier before the GLE. Once a shot is taken or offense loses possesion, the D turns to handle three lines of middies in a 3 v 2. You work man to man, zone, and off ball movement all at once.

3 v 2 to 4 v 3: Set up two lines of D poles up top, and three lines of O behind the goal. I split up my middies between the two lines and switch half-way through. Start w/ 2 D poles above the GLE and the three O work the ball above the goal with intention to score. Once a shot is taken or possession is lost, 2 more D players join the 2 D poles and go on offense. The three O players play defense. Play stops at the shot or loss of possession. Give you two man down situations, allows your attack to work on defense, and develops your D poles stick skills and let's them shoot :lol:

You can modify this drill so that the three O players stay on offense and add the two new D so they can work on double team situations.

Genny Drill: Since the goals are close together, this is a great ballhandling/conditioning drill. Set up your goals with three lines behind each goal. Start with three O players with the ball at the midline, and two D players. When a shot is taken or possession is lost, the player who lost possession/taken the shot drops out with the two D guys and get back in line. The remaining two D guys hustle back to the other goal to play defense while the goalie clears the ball to three new players fastbreaking down the field. When you first introduce the drill, there is confusion, but once it gets going, it's a great fast drill.
Scars are souvenirs you never lose.
Laxjunkie

drills...

New postby Puck on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:22 pm

w/ 50 (+) players you probably are already aware of the acute need for this but-

*budget your time religiously
*run multiple stations
*no more than 12 (+/-) players to a coach @ each station
*allow a brief H2O break (5 mins <) after every 3rd/4th drill
*it's a great time to tweak fundamental techniques

possible drills (w/ two courts available) after the prescribed conditioning-

on one court...

*"box" (1v1 inside a 6-8 yd sq box)
*denial (1v1,2v2) players or coach start w/ ball
*odd & even number situations 1v0, 2v1, 3v3, etc....(air & grd)
*shooting (endless variety available) w/ 1, 2, or 3 men
*defensive positioning
*faceoffs (1 v 1)
*middies...f/0 3v3 to the goal
*Gutz (players circled up & inside a 2v2 or 3v3)
*Alley drills (2v2 & 3v3)
*etc., etc., etc....

on the 2nd court...

*concentrated fast breaks (both O & D)
*O concepts (give & go, off ball movement, changing fields, etc.)
*D concepts (slide & recovery pkg, doubles, shutoffs, etc, etc)
*breaks 2 busts 2 all-even
*emo & emd
*penalty release 2 all-even
*substitution situations
*special situation plays
*chumash (this is a real treat & reward for being good students)

w/ a good staff you can really make this a profitable experience. be flexible and adjust practices daily. strictly budget your time so that practice "flows" from station to station. design each station to build upon the next. this will keep your audience captive and engaged.

just my 2 cents...

good luck-
"We WILL have a world government whether you like it or not. The only question is whether that government will be achieved by conquest or consent."

--(Banker Paul Warburg, February 17, 1950, as he testified before the U.S. Senate.)
Puck

New postby OMNLax on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:42 pm

Puck and LaxJunkie, thanks for taking the time to lay out some ideas. The Genny is a great drill, space might be too tight for that many players at once (we may have half conditioning outside). I also like on the 3v2 to 4v3, that gives the D poles an opportunity to play O and shoot.
Plus, I'm embarrassed to say but I don't know what Chumash is...please explain. Thanks.
OMNLax

chumash

New postby Puck on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:37 pm

"We WILL have a world government whether you like it or not. The only question is whether that government will be achieved by conquest or consent."

--(Banker Paul Warburg, February 17, 1950, as he testified before the U.S. Senate.)
Puck

Sponsor

Return to Coaching Lacrosse