Teaching Girls Lacrosse Defense

Strategies, questions, games wanted (open dates) and discussions about coaching at any level

Teaching Girls Lacrosse Defense

New postby MDLAXFan620 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:57 am

HI,

At what age do you think it is appropriate to begin teaching that you don't always force weak in girls lacrosse, Or to start introducing concepts like force off the line of center.

I coach a U15 team in Maryland. Thank you for any input.

MDFAN
MDLAXFan620

Re: Teaching Girls Lacrosse Defense

New postby CTLaxer on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:01 am

MDLAXFan620 wrote:I coach a U15 team in Maryland, is appropriate to begin teaching that you don't always force weak in girls lacrosse, Or to start introducing concepts like force off the line of center.

Thank you for any input.

MDFAN

There, I fixed your question so it's written how you really wanted to say it and the answer to that question is yes, it's appropriate. Of if you want me to answer your original question I would say this: Do you want to teach those concepts now? If so then whatever age you coach it's appropriate.
CTLaxer

New postby SPlaxer31 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:26 pm

I have a question. I play defense at the junior level of girls lacrosse and for all of my defensive career, I have been playing off ball defense using one hand on my stick and my other pointing to the ball. I have always felt that it gives me better vision of the field and is more comfortable. At my practice the other day, I was told this was wrong. My coach said I should have two hands on my stick at all times so I can intercept the ball if the chance comes. I find this odd because if I was going to intercept, I should be quick enough that I can put my other hand on the stick before getting the ball. I am quick enough but he says I am wrong. I did some "research" and I watched some videos of a state championship high school team and the #1 college team and both had most of their defenders doing what I normally do. Does anyone know who is right here??? Me or my coach...
SPlaxer31

New postby brownlax on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:31 am

SPLaxer - A lot of Coaches teach different methods and styles. That is why some girls who go to camps come back confused when another coach teaches them something completely contradictory to their school or club coach. In regards to your specific question, I teach the exact method you are talking about. Not sure of your age, but we teach that as young as 3rd grade. Good luck - keep working!
brownlax

New postby 2pontificate on Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:58 am

SPlaxer31 wrote:I have a question. I play defense at the junior level of girls lacrosse and for all of my defensive career, I have been playing off ball defense using one hand on my stick and my other pointing to the ball. I have always felt that it gives me better vision of the field and is more comfortable.

I have no problem with this technique, but you need to recognize this has nothing to do with playing defense, it is merely your aid in seeing the ball and the girl you are marking. I have taught this method, but only when a girl doesn't "get" the idea of having her head on a swivel to view both ball and the girl she is marking. You are using your two arms to "triangulate" your defensive position. Your head on a swivel accomplishes the same thing. Since there are very few things you can do on a lacrosse field with only one hand on your stick, and nothing you can't do with two hands, I prefer to see my players with both hands on their sticks...HOWEVER, your comfort zone playing is far more important then my comfort zone watching.
2pontificate

Sponsor

Return to Coaching Lacrosse