Radford University (RU)

Radford University (RU)

New postby valaxfan on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:35 am

I understand that my alma mater's current President, Penny Kyle, has made some positive comments about re-starting the lacrosse program at RU, or atleast considering it. This past fall, there was an Alumni-RU Club team game that generated alot of interest. Afterwards, comments were made about the possibility of lacrosse coming back to the New River area. That's all I know but will keep everyone posted. This would be great for the school and the sport, if this comes true.

Best, valaxfan
Go Generals!!
valaxfan

Re: Radford University (RU)

New postby doms76 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:18 am

They were Division 1? Would they come back as DIII?
doms76

New postby stillcreasebeast on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:38 am

doms76 wrote:They were Division 1? Would they come back as DIII?

They'd have to come back as D-1. No more split divisions. The NCAA has grandfathered programs like JH & Hobart for lax & St. Lawrence for hockey. It would be a great restart :dance:
stillcreasebeast

New postby onceamink on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:24 am

valaxfan wrote:I understand that my alma mater's current President, Penny Kyle, has made some positive comments about re-starting the lacrosse program at RU, or atleast considering it. This past fall, there was an Alumni-RU Club team game that generated alot of interest. Afterwards, comments were made about the possibility of lacrosse coming back to the New River area. That's all I know but will keep everyone posted. This would be great for the school and the sport, if this comes true.

Best, valaxfan

I'm not sure how long Penny will be at RU. She has achieved the rare triple crown of having alumni, students, and faculty calling for her head. Even parts of her administration are rebelling. Enrollment has dropped and budget situation is bleak.(At one point RU was considering abolishing the depts. of mathematics and physics!)

Radford has sold its soul to the DI basketball program and there isn't much other athletics money to go around. RU also is ~58% female which can lead to some title 9 issues.

All that said... if someone walked in with a few million dollars there would be a team! Radford is desperate for money. It would also mean that 3 big south teams would be playing.(add in J-ville & Mercer and you almost have a conference!)
"Beat them d*** Wahoos"
onceamink

New postby valaxfan on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:48 pm

onceamink wrote:
valaxfan wrote:I understand that my alma mater's current President, Penny Kyle, has made some positive comments about re-starting the lacrosse program at RU, or atleast considering it. This past fall, there was an Alumni-RU Club team game that generated alot of interest. Afterwards, comments were made about the possibility of lacrosse coming back to the New River area. That's all I know but will keep everyone posted. This would be great for the school and the sport, if this comes true.

Best, valaxfan

I'm not sure how long Penny will be at RU. She has achieved the rare triple crown of having alumni, students, and faculty calling for her head. Even parts of her administration are rebelling. Enrollment has dropped and budget situation is bleak.(At one point RU was considering abolishing the depts. of mathematics and physics!)

Radford has sold its soul to the DI basketball program and there isn't much other athletics money to go around. RU also is ~58% female which can lead to some title 9 issues.

All that said... if someone walked in with a few million dollars there would be a team! Radford is desperate for money. It would also mean that 3 big south teams would be playing.(add in J-ville & Mercer and you almost have a conference!)

Oncea, I was not going to go there with Penny but since you have, the fact that she got a $1M bonus for RU going to the NCAAs only to be pounded by UNC is just mind boggling in a down econonmy and kids needing money to get into school, just did not set the correct standard IMO. But I did accurate report what she said, despite the triple crown affect. Maybe she can reinstate RU Lax to save her own head. She was with the Virginia Lottery you know, maybe she has a stash somewhere, I know she had $1M, maybe give that back :-).

valaxfan
Go Generals!!
valaxfan

New postby valaxfan on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:59 pm

FYI, first step in trying to bring lax back to RU, just got this note today.

valaxfan

Subject: RU Lacrosse Booster Club - Announces Fundraising Face-Off

The RU Lacrosse Booster Club is excited to announce the launch of its fundraising efforts to bring back Div I Men's lacrosse to Radford.

Stay tuned for more information on upcoming 2010 events and ways for you to become an important part of building upon the tradition that is RU Lacrosse while bringing new acclaim to our Radford University.

For more information, please contact Radford.LacrosseBoosterClub@hotmail.com

Go Highlanders!
Go Generals!!
valaxfan

New postby panchess on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:54 pm

There weren't playoffs when Radford played before, and they couldn't get into a league. Now they likely could get into the MAAC (or even the Big South if members keep adding lacrosse) and have some chance to play in the NCAA's. Big difference.
panchess

New postby JMLax on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 am

being someone who had firsthand knowledge of the RU program, i have always thought Covington made a bad call in ending it. With the explosion of lacrosse in VA, especially outside of NOVA, RU really had an opportunity to build a very solid program. 15 years ago you had NOVA HS's(mainly just fairfax co), a few schools in richmond, a few in roanoke, and a few teams in place like Stafford, Loudoun, and VA Beach. You now see lacrosse in every northern va county, as well as pockets up and down i-81 and some real solid private school lacrosse. Throw in the nice sized club leagues in Richmond and Vabeach and you have a good pool of players to pull from. And with RU's out-of-state costs, it is still a great option for MD-DE-PA kids as well as a decent recruiting pool from NC.
I really feel that had the right direction been taken, it could have mirrored a Towson or UMBC in terms of a product on the field. Top flight VA talent either goes UVA or out of state. The only other options are pay $35K/yr to play high level d3 t W&L,Lynchbur,Roanoke, HS or go the military academy route at VMI. There was never quite the option for a kid with a B average who wasnt quite on the IL Young Guns list to play D1 ball after RU killed the program.

But with RU's ratio of women to men (one of the best aspects of RU in my opinion), title 9 is going to be a huge issue. You would almost have to see womens lax come in and be fully funded before mens will return.
JMLax

New postby valaxfan on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:37 am

I agree, there is no reason Radford does not have women's lacrosse. There are many kids who cannot get into the schools that have lacrosse and Radford stands to benefit from that, men and women.

valaxfan
Go Generals!!
valaxfan

New postby valaxfan on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:11 pm

An Update on the move to "Bring It Back", Division I Lacrosse to Radford University (RU).

Radford Alumni, Friends and Family held an RU Tailgate at the UVA/Syracuse game from earlier this month. Nice turnout. Players from the very first club team to today’s club team were there and of course many from the Division I days. Radford University President Kyle stopped by before and after the game to talk about the future of lacrosse at Radford. President Kyle mentioned that she has directed Athletic Director Robert Lineburg to start investigating the logistics of starting a Division I lacrosse team so that once money is raised, the school will be ready to put a plan in place and move out on DI lax at Radford again.

valaxfan
Go Generals!!
valaxfan

New postby holmes435 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:12 am

Giving this thread a bump with the news of RU now adding women's lacrosse but dropping field hockey, women's swimming and men's track & field.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/ ... f6878.html
holmes435

New postby valaxfan on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:14 am

Good for women's lax, not so good for Field Hockey. Many folks a little upset over this switch. The problem is the conference Radford is in Does have lax for women, not for the men. Still hoping RU gets lax back for the men.

valaxfan
Go Generals!!
valaxfan

New postby nhslaxcoach2 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:20 pm

I hate to be the negative one on this subject as one of my good friends is a lax grad from RU, but I'm suspicious of anything going on here on the men's side. The statement that 16 teams is easier than 19... and the cutting of women's sports which would be useful in standing up a men's team, suggest that this is truly "realignment" and nothing more.

When Radford made the decision to go "all in" on basketball, it was a decision with consequences that continue to show up in their bottom line as a school.
nhslaxcoach2

New postby LadyLaker on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:41 pm

This from DakotaDan's post about the addition of WLax at the expense of field hockey from the Women's Thread:
In a move the school describes as a "realignment," Radford University (Radford, Va.) is dropping several sports -- among them field hockey -- and adding women's lacrosse, according to a report in the Roanoke Times posted late Tuesday night.

Radford is a member of the Big South Conference, which sponsors women's lacrosse but not field hockey; conference members Liberty and Longwood already have lacrosse programs; and the only other Division I school in the state without women's lacrosse, Virginia Commonwealth University, has a team coming in 2016.

The new program at Radford will most likely begin play in the 2016 season as well. "The plan is to build gradually up to nine funded scholarships with 50 percent of that (4 1⁄2 scholarships) the first season, 75 percent the next season and the full 100 percent thereafter. Once it is up and running, lacrosse is expected to have a roughly $430,000 annual budget."

I hate to see field hockey eliminated for any other sport, even lax, but in this case it makes sense.

LL
Being "Over the Hill" is much better than being under it!
LadyLaker

New postby valaxfan on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:51 pm

Agree with LL. Unless someone has $500K sitting around somewhere, I don't see a Men's program coming to RU anytime soon, unfortunately.

valaxfan
Go Generals!!
valaxfan

New postby sore+old on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:19 pm

LL wrote:
I hate to see field hockey eliminated for any other sport, even lax, but in this case it makes sense.

It always makes sense!
:sleeping-blue: :sleeping-sleeping: :teasing-neener:
So, I guess you never ran into a bus driver before?!
sore+old

New postby LadyLaker on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:04 pm

S&O -- I am putting you in the penalty box -- 4 minutes unsportsmanlike, disrespect for a sport.

Unreleasable.

:snooty:

LL
Being "Over the Hill" is much better than being under it!
LadyLaker

New postby ggait on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Swapping wlax for swimming and FH is only a net reduction of 7-10 female roster spots. Shutting down mens track eliminates 77 rosters. So from a headcount perspective, Radford might have room for D1 mlax.

Money, interest, facilities, conference is another thing of course.
ggait

Sponsor

Return to Men's - Division I