2%
Arapahoe
15%
Other
9%

Total votes : 100

2012 DU Recruits

New postby chubbylax on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Nice to see DU getting some well deserved attention in the Pe-Season Rankings...... Has anyone heard if the Pioneers recruited any Colorado kids from this year's Senior (2012) Class?
chubbylax

Re: Colorado High School 2012

New postby re-lax your buttocks on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm jonesing for something lacrosse!
How about a discussion of leaguewide players! Who's hot,
who's on the rise? Sleepers. Studs. fast ones, quick ones , smart ones.
Overlooked, surprises, wicked goalies, massive D! Killer O! Smokin' hard shot. Help!
If you are going to mention your sons, fine!
ABSOLUTLY no negatives! Only positive comments about any named player! Deal?
Carry on! :confusion-helpsos:
re-lax your buttocks

New postby BBChap on Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:26 pm

I heard some one say that a frosh was among leading scorers in CO last year. Who is this?
BBChap

New postby gr8lax on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:17 am

Colton McCaffrey from Chaparral was #7 scorer in the state as a freshman (43g, 25 a). Also made all star teams at Denver Shootout and Battle of Hotbeds.
gr8lax

New postby ggait on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Interesting series of articles in the Denver Post about public vs private high school sports, focusing mostly on Mullen, Regis and especially Valor.

As we've all seen in HS lacrosse, there's just as much quality variation between different public schools (CC/Arap vs. Smoky Hill) and between different private schools (Kent vs. Machbeuf) as there is between publics vs privates. We also know from lacrosse that enrollment size does not always correlate to competitive strength. There's also a lot of variation among different sports even within a single school -- Kent lacrosse plays at a high 5A level, but their football and basketball don't.

Not sure what the right answer is. Maybe you stick with enrollment as the basic concept, but then require extremely strong or extremely weak teams to play up/down.

http://www.denverpost.com/preps/ci_19478018

Anyone know what lax schools have opted for 4A this upcoming season? CA? Valor?
ggait

New postby gr8lax on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Split to 4A/5A is not effective until 2013.
gr8lax

New postby STXturbo on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:29 pm

Split happens in 2013 and there still isn't that much info on the process, leagues, or moving up and down. Frankly, there is not much known besides that it is happening and the split will be primarily based on enrollment. Coaches will probably learn a lot more at the coaches meeting before the season.

From what know, it is going to be a lot easier to move up from 4A to 5A than move down. Being able to move down will be determined on a team's overall in-state record for 2012-2013 seasons. Basically, you have to lose a certain percentage of your games over the last two years in order to apply to move down to 4A.
STXturbo

New postby FieldJudge&Jury on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:53 pm

As important as enrollment is program size is just as important. They need to find a way to see all aspects of the sport.
FieldJudge&Jury

New postby 14laxin on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:11 am

If it is based on enrollment, then what are they to do with the combined teams like FOCO, Wheatridge, Chatfield, and others? Is it likely to cause a split of those teams? Are two classes really enough? Obviously not enough for many other sports.

Another question.

Do you see Valor putting as much money and effort into lacrosse as the other more publicized sports? I saw part of a game vs. Steamboat last year, and Valor had improved dramatically-well beyond just skills improvement-since I saw them just the year before. They also have a feeder program going with all of the lower grades (3rd through 8th) playing under Valor's name, but I don't believe Valor has all of those other grades.
14laxin

New postby STXturbo on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:17 pm

Enrollment for those teams will be based on the name school's numbers. So Wheat Ridge will only be based on WR's enrollment and Chatfield will only be based on Chatfield's enrollment. It should be noted that Dakota Ridge is starting a team this year (lower levels only for 2012), which should take quite a few guys from Chatfield and Columbine.

FOCO gets treated differently for the enrollment criteria, but I don't know how. They are considered a district "CO-OP" team, while Chatfield, WR, Columbine have a different classification for how they combine.
STXturbo

New postby Transplant on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:32 pm

chubbylax wrote:Nice to see DU getting some well deserved attention in the Pe-Season Rankings...... Has anyone heard if the Pioneers recruited any Colorado kids from this year's Senior (2012) Class?

D.U. absolutely deserves the pre-season top five ranking with all the talent they have coming back, especially on the offensive end. They may have a few holes to fill defensively but they are strong in between the pipes and that always helps.
Unfortunately, none of the herald class of 2012 will be participating for the Pio's. With that large a group moving on to play D1 you would think somebody would have been in the mix but it never seemed to materialize. I know they were interested in the top player at each position but two of them are going to UVA (Scales & Florence) and from what I have heard,the other is working on getting his grades up.
Transplant

New postby laxdadkoc on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:08 pm

Don't hold your breath on the big split if CHSAA is taking the lead it will be a cluster, they'll push it back to 2014 or 2015 after they set up another committee. This is a boys club of ex-ADs and ex-school administrators with zero oversight from outsiders (the public). These are the same folks that brought us; give me a little more money I promise to do a better job next year.
Make the changes now with the input of the Colorado Lax community, they probably know better than CHSAA and they have a vested interest in the outcome (their kids).
For the 2012 season I believe that it will be the same cast of characters from the past because of strong organizations.
CC, Kent, Regis, Arapahoe, Mullen, FOCO, WR, Columbine, maybe someone from Douglas county & the Springs.
It's now time to break up the consolidated team, sink or swim, no more water wings. :confusion-shrug:
laxdadkoc

New postby viperlaxdad on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Which consolidated team do you want to break up? Arapahoe, Wheat Ridge, Columbine, Chatfield or do you mean just FOCO?
viperlaxdad

New postby Paleolaxer on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Lacrosse is different than any other HS sport. The teams that dominate have the one common denominator among them - Feeder programs. If you are going to have an effective, consistent program, year in and year out,
you must have a little league organization to fuel your HS teams. Valor, Mullen, Regis, even Kent don't have a dedicated feeder program. Kent and Creek and Regis draw from the same well- Bandits. Panthers go to Arapahoe/ Columbine
with a few to Regis and Kent. Not many to Mullen/Valor or anyone else. FOCO has Vipers. The other schools have come a long way and are building their grade school leagues. Until this process comes to fruition, The public/Private debate for lacrosse is not the same problem as with the bigger sports. Up til now, I have never heard any credible story of a Private recruiting a player from a Public team. And when the 4a/5a happens, Regis and Kent, possibly Mullen and Valor, will certainly play up. Let FOCO be. If they are broken up, northern CO lacrosse will fade away. Let's grow the game, not stunt it.
Don't we have enough runaway games as it is? Better competition makes betters teams. When FOCO has 150 kids trying out for Varsity, they'll break themselves up.

P.S. I think Ryder Clark is is the top defenseman, Matt Florence, middie, Jack Bobzien, attack
and that kid from Mountain Vista, goalie. None of 'em are mine.
Last edited by Paleolaxer on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paleolaxer

New postby viperlaxdad on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks for being a voice of reason, paleolaxer. I am too close to the situation to be unbiased and there are times I feel no one to the south really understands the unified program up here. FOCO will eventually split. That's the reality; I have to agree with you in your assessment that the Vipers will split when the numbers justify it. Until then, I will enjoy watching them play against the best teams in Colorado in competitive, exciting games.
viperlaxdad

New postby Paleolaxer on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:30 pm

Vipe,

My sons have had some fun games against the Vipers- for years. Making the trip from where I live to F.C., would not be fun if we played non-competitive games. If FOCO is broken up, the remaining teams will be patsies because of numbers,
little boys will not pick up a stick- because who wants to lose all the time- and our game gets diminished not enhanced. End of sermon. Go in peace. When little boys play in sufficient numbers, the FOCO "problem" will disappear.
Paleolaxer

New postby Transplant on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:41 pm

viperlaxdad wrote:Which consolidated team do you want to break up? Arapahoe, Wheat Ridge, Columbine, Chatfield or do you mean just FOCO?

I personally don't care if FOCO stays together but YOU lose all credibility by putting Arapahoe in this group.
LITTLETON PUBLIC SCHOOLS has three high schools and they field three boys lacrosse teams (AHS/HERITAGE/LITTLETON). Ft. Collins has 4 high schools and they field ONE lacrosse team(FOCO).
Transplant

New postby laxdadkoc on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding Viperlaxdad, I never mentioned Arapahoe as a consolidated team. And I believe Transplant has it correct, LPS has three high schools, three high school lax teams and they are all fairly competitive. Fort Fun has four high schools as big as any of the LPS high schools but only one team. Tell me how much sense that makes. Highlands Ranch (who knows how many high schools) has been playing this consolidated game for years in high school swimming. Enough! Time to take off the water wings. Same for WR, Columbine, Chatfield or any one else with the exception of the mountain teams at this point. The reason for the success at the top six high school programs is feeder programs that help all the high school lax programs and the lax community. :naughty:
laxdadkoc

New postby viperlaxdad on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:43 pm

I'll not further this discussion about FOCO and other consolidated teams. I respect that you do not support it and hope that at some point you will realize that Paleolaxer is right, there simply are not the numbers up here to validate a split at this time. I love to watch all Colorado teams, top eight or otherwise, and would much rather discuss the quality players, incredible match-up, Dark Horses and the beginning of the season hopes for all teams. Colorado lax is just that- Colorado Lax, unified or not.
viperlaxdad

New postby ggait on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:26 pm

As much as it pains me to do so, I think we have to cut VLD some slack on this.

I think the Foco Unified Vipers catch more flack than other combined teams because their name/colors/mascot is independent of their component schools and also synched up with their youth program.

It is a little harder to tell that the Wheat Ridge Farmers lax team (who beat FCU last season) is actually Arvada West/Arvada/Standley Lake/Wheat Ridge high schools. Or that the Monarch Coyotes are really Broomfield/Centaurus/Holy Family/Peak to Peak/Legacy/Mountain Range/Monarch high schools. Similar story at many other programs including Chatfield (which has been pretty successful).

I do think, however, that there would be more Foco kids coming out for lax if there was a second team made available. Neighboring Windsor and Thompson Valley started up programs a few years ago and...kids showed up. Although these days school districts and parents aren't out there looking to create more things to spend money on.
ggait

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Boys' High School Lacrosse