backer zone-best way to attack it

Strategies, questions, games wanted (open dates) and discussions about coaching at any level

backer zone-best way to attack it

New postby hvfan on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:58 am

Hey guys,

Just wanted some input. I'm playing a team later this week who runs a backer zone. I've got some ideas about what I want to do:

look at our man up offense, run out of an open set.

Wanted to see what other ideas you all had.

Little extra info: we are weak at the midfield (ie: guys who drop some/throw some away) and going against a team that likes to be overly aggressive in their defense and following the offense out even beyond the box. which to me, made it odd that they would stay in a zone.

Thoughts?
hvfan

Re: backer zone-best way to attack it

New postby wrhslax on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Have run a form of the backer zone at times, when we were at our best we had trouble with a team that set up like a 141 with the guy at X strictly feeding 4 shooters, the high crease being one of the shooters, but they used a lot of picks and movement on the crease to eliminate the backer. The shooters spread out far to get enough space to be open. Youwould think the141 would play right into what we wanted but for some reason it made life hell. We had to adjust because even though we ran the zone to get the outside shots, the double crease made it easier for them to use the shot to set up the dodge and they also had great shooters.

For what its worth we never had trouble when teams circled up on us, a lot of cutters made things difficult regardless of sets but not as effective as the 141. Obviously your man up or another zone offense is a good thing to use when playing against any zone.

The backer zone should be aggressive like you describe, if you can beat your man you still have to dodge the zone or pass through the zone or take a shot from farther away than usual after beating your man. Maybe put in your strongest offensive players every chance you get or put your middies on the crease in the 141. A 222 offense will probably be similarly effective because you are taking away their help, or making it less effective
wrhslax

New postby lastkhd on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:43 am

1-4-1 works

You are playing in the seams around the outside, you take away the backer and CD by keeping them busy and you can change looks quickly. If they follow throw back if they slide towards you move the ball forward.
lastkhd

New postby AZlax2003 on Wed May 23, 2012 12:30 pm

Definitely a 1-4-1 should give you opportunities. One set that can also have success against the backer zone is the 2-2-2. Start your two crease players inside, and as the ball swings around behind the cage, pop one out to the wing and if a defender starts to trail him, it could open up a passing lane for the skip up top, or for a reverse of direction behind cage and then try to hit the seam on the back-side. Timing needs to be right, and should take some practice, but it can work.
AZlax2003

New postby Paesan33 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:33 pm

As a general rule, i think beating a defense is to NOT do what they want you to.

So if they zone, dont dodge. If they give you the outside shot, take it. If they give you the topside, take it. If they give you the inside roll, the late slide, take advantage.

So the zone's purpose, and i am generalizing here, is to have everyone covering an area. So the natural counter is... overload.

At some point, you might just get 1 covering 2. Try putting in a sideways 33 (my college coach liked this). literally have no players on one side of the field. What this looks like is an X attackman in line with a crease and a middie top center. Then two wings and a middie on the box, all on one side. Trying to draw it up here:

......................................|
..................A...................|
................(...).................|
..A...................................|
..................A...................|
..M..................................|
___________________________|
..M.............M....................

All of a sudden the D will find themselves with two defenders covering no one on the other side of the field (smart ones will sluff and protect the crease). And then a few more scrambling to cover the extra wings. That right there might be enough to mess up their zone, not to mention, its an immediate 6v4.
There's 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Paesan33

New postby Paesan33 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:26 pm

this topic comes up from time to time, so i thought id post this here: http://laxallstars.com/can-lacrosse-tea ... e-defense/
There's 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Paesan33

New postby LookGoodInPurple on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks, Pasean.... good stuff!
Go Cats!
LookGoodInPurple

Sponsor

Return to Coaching Lacrosse