Brine National Lacrosse Classic

For discussions regarding play below the high school varsity level

Brine National Lacrosse Classic

New postby WillBarry1 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:36 pm

Does any have any views regarding the Brine National Lacrosse Classic for the middle school boys' group? My son made the team for DC and we are excited to see what it involves. I guess it can't hurt to get more instruction and to play against a higher level of competition...
WillBarry1

Re: Brine National Lacrosse Classic

New postby youthathletics on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:56 pm

Any update from the today's events?
youthathletics

New postby WillBarry1 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:53 pm

It was certainly an exciting day of games, culminated with the boys DC high school team beating the Australian U19 National Team in OT. Team Canada beat Rochester in the high school division. The middle school division is pretty unpredictable, but the talent level is impressive for that age group.

As a parent, the best part of the experience is the positional skill sessions. The kids get intense coaching from college level coaches. It is a great opportunity for the kids.
WillBarry1

New postby ThePlainTruth on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:12 pm

This topic gets resurrected every year, and the opinions vary. Who were some of the "college coaches" giving instruction to this team? If you played good competition and got strong instruction while having fun, it was probably worthwhile for your family.

Some say it is a pure money grab and the number of college coaches in attendance or giving instruction is exaggerated. We've never done it, so I can't give an opinion.

But I looked at the DC rosters. For the HS group, there are certainly some good names, but it is nowhere near an All-Star team from this area. For the middle school, I didn't see any of the major kids who populate the AA clubs in this area.
ThePlainTruth

New postby WillBarry1 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:44 pm

I had read the posts about the "money grab" issue before deciding to go forward. The college coaches piece turned out to be a positive. There were coaches from several different schools who ran the drill/skill sessions. As a parent of a middle school kid, I don't care at all about things like college recruiting, but the coaches knew how to run drills and teach kids. The kids were paying attention, and I think some of that has to do with the fact that they knew the coaches were professional coaches.

As for the talent level, the team is made up of kids from U15 and U13 AA teams. Not all of the AA teams are represented of course. The Capital Classic and other summer tournaments took place this weekend, so you'll never get all of the top teams sending their kids to try out.

The level of play has been very high. My son plays for a AA club team and the level of individual play this weekend far exceeds anything I've seen at the Green Turtle, Summer Exposure/Getaway or Tri-State tournaments.

I'm not trying to be a shill for this event. So far, I have seen more positives than negatives. What tipped the scales for me was the position skill sessions.
WillBarry1

New postby NewLax on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Will Barry1: Interesting observation that the middle school lacrosse "far exceeds" anything at some of the named tournaments because (like Plain Truth) I did not recognize a lot of the names I am used to seeing at the U-15 AA level from the top teams.

That could be good news--perhaps there are far more kids playing at a high level than I thought. But, I am a little surprised, especially because I thought the lacrosse at the GT Invitational for AA teams (the Saturday games, not the Sunday games, which were for the A teams) was very good--especially in the playoffs.

The Crabs, Turtle, VLC, Madlax, Looneys, and Hawks are among the best U-15AA teams in the area (perhaps the country), to mention nothing of the Next Level team that won Vail going away at the U-15AA level, but that was not at GT (in fact, that Vail team will not play together again as the kids play for 2-3 other clubs--Club Blue, GT, Madlax). But, if the level of play is better than you saw at the GT tourney on SAT--especially the playoff rounds--then that is terrific.

Good luck to all.
NewLax

New postby dpolelaxdad on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:57 am

As a parent, I think you have to decide where your child will learn and enjoy more when deciding between attending something like Brine for a middle school player versus a good tournament. A lot of this will depend on which tournament your club team plays and at what level. As a father of a Madlax U13 AA player, the experience my son has obtained so far this summer playing AA talent at the Green Turtle Invitational and Capital Classic is as they say, “priceless”. Looking forward to playing in the rising 8th grade (U13 AA) this weekend at Tri-State. If you son’s AA team plays down in these tournaments, for example U13 A or B at Tri-State, than I also would prefer something like Brine.
dpolelaxdad

New postby WillBarry1 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:13 pm

I completely agree that there is great value in the tournaments. I would not suggest that the Brine is an alternative to those tournaments. As a parent who has been to a bunch of tournaments with my child, and who has become a relatively educated consumer of club teams and camps, I was pleased with the Brine experience. The total cost was $175. Leaving aside the uniforms and things the kids get, I thought it was worthwhile, mainly because of the skill clinics. The three hours of skill work were well done. The games were fun but sloppy. The kids were very talented (the DC team, which did not do very well, included Looneys, Hawks, Zingos and Next Level U15/U13 AA players). Overall, I'd be inclined to let me kid try out for the event again next year if he is interested.
WillBarry1

New postby ThePlainTruth on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:36 pm

dpolelaxdad wrote:As a father of a Madlax U13 AA player, the experience my son has obtained so far this summer playing AA talent at the Green Turtle Invitational and Capital Classic is as they say, “priceless”. Looking forward to playing in the rising 8th grade (U13 AA) this weekend at Tri-State. If you son’s AA team plays down in these tournaments, for example U13 A or B at Tri-State, than I also would prefer something like Brine.

The GT is always a good tournament. Madlax's recent tournament, however, is pretty marginal. In that U13AA field you referred to, there were three decent teams and two awful ones. That's not a great tournament.
ThePlainTruth

New postby ThePlainTruth on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:40 pm

WillBarry1 wrote:I completely agree that there is great value in the tournaments. I would not suggest that the Brine is an alternative to those tournaments. As a parent who has been to a bunch of tournaments with my child, and who has become a relatively educated consumer of club teams and camps, I was pleased with the Brine experience. The total cost was $175. Leaving aside the uniforms and things the kids get, I thought it was worthwhile, mainly because of the skill clinics. The three hours of skill work were well done. The games were fun but sloppy. The kids were very talented (the DC team, which did not do very well, included Looneys, Hawks, Zingos and Next Level U15/U13 AA players). Overall, I'd be inclined to let me kid try out for the event again next year if he is interested.

Again, if you think your child had fun and improved, then it sounds like it was worthwhile. Would still like to know the names of the coaches who were there giving instructional (not because I don't believe you - I would just be curious who exactly was there teaching).

But I have to respond to the point you brought up again. The leading kids from the AA teams in the DMV are not present on that team. Period. You said you guys had a tough time against the other teams. Based on the roster I saw, I was not surprised to hear that. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with that event. It means that the top AA kids in the DMV simply didn't attend. Period.
ThePlainTruth

New postby WillBarry1 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:00 pm

I'll gladly defer to your expertise on who the "leading kids" on particular teams in the DMV are. I don't pretend to have undertaken some kind of study.
WillBarry1

New postby ThePlainTruth on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:06 am

WillBarry1 wrote:I'll gladly defer to your expertise on who the "leading kids" on particular teams in the DMV are. I don't pretend to have undertaken some kind of study.

Well, you were the one opining about how good your son's team was in this tournament. Have you been able to find out which college coaches were the ones giving instruction to MS kids? If it were top coaches, I would probably recommend this experience to other families. Thanks.
ThePlainTruth

New postby bobboh on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:04 am

How do you get involved in the Brine Classic, my son is 12U or 13U-A, but will be 13U-AA next year, is it an invite only camp or can you just register. He is playing in tournaments, but has expressed an interest in doing some kind of a camp next summer. Thanks in advance for any input.
bobboh

New postby brownlax on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Whoever claims that this is a Money Grab is really dead wrong. I am going to speak on the girls side of things because I have no boys. We have done the Brian National for the last two years. it is tremendous value and a tremendous experience for the girls. The coaching is awesome with some of the best in the business - Duke, UNC, Navy, Delaware, Northwestern and many others in attendance (coaches and players).

Overtime, this will continue to grow and the talent will keep getting better. The bottom line is this - if you don't want your kid to do it, don't tryout.

The value is not just for the kids but also for the parents. They had session with sports psychologists, professional trainers, etc that were fantastic.
brownlax

New postby laxandlearn on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:28 pm

I've only heard from one parent regarding this tournament (girls) and she said it was a complete waste of time and money. That was last year. I think if you have the money and your child loves the sport, wants to play and makes the team, more power to you.
laxandlearn

New postby saintsfanmd on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:45 pm

My daughter made the Maryland Middle School team last year. We really enjoyed it...coaching was provided by college assistants and players, the info sessions were nice, the vendors were good and the event was very well organized. At the tryouts last year for the MD team at Garrisson Forrest School, there were 50 girls vying for 25 spots. This year, due to my daughter's club team tournament schedule we were unable to tryout (although, when we registered in winter we didn't know that), but I heard from parents and players who were there that there were only about 18 or so girls trying out for the Maryland team. Very disappointing. They were calling players (my daughter included) to come join the team. I know two girls who made the team that backed out because there was ZERO chance that the team would've been competitive. So, at least here in the Baltimore/Annapolis area, the tournament DOES NOT appear to growing. It appears that next year there may not be a Maryland team if the attendees to tryouts shrink again. From 50 to 18. Not a good trend.
saintsfanmd

New postby saintsfanmd on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:50 pm

By the way...who won? How did the Maryland team do?
saintsfanmd

New postby LaxAboveAndBeyond on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:09 pm

The MD girls HS team was coached by CP. They had a large turnout for tryouts and fielded a competitive team. They won all of their games and won the entire tournament in a convincing fashion. The final was against a Pennsylvania team and the game was a route. The girls played a very team oriented style of play, were well coached, and all had a great experience.
LaxAboveAndBeyond

New postby saintsfanmd on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:21 pm

I was looking for the results of the MS team. I heard they picked up some players and wound up going to the semi's or further.
saintsfanmd

New postby brownlax on Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Long Island North beat Long ISland South 5-3 in one Semi Final.

PA beat MD in the other and then beat LI North in the finals in Sudden Death on an 8m.
brownlax

Sponsor

Next

Return to Boys' & Girls' Youth Lacrosse