New stick check procedure

New stick check procedure

New postby TheDecider on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:54 pm

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/web_video/ ... _1212.html

Please check the new procedure concerning the back of the stick check. At the 2:30 mark of the video, the official places (presses) the ball in back of the mesh. I am not sure why this is a check. Is it because face-off players sometimes have the ball in the back of the mesh?
Sticks with hard mesh will have a difficult time passing this test. In addition, hard mesh and cold weather makes a very stiff mesh pocket.
I am interested in the rationale of this back of the stick check. Any insights?

TheDecider
TheDecider

Re: New stick check procedure

New postby Viking on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:19 pm

With an NCAA-legal head shape, I don't think you'll have to worry about hard mesh or weather...as long as you get rid of the dense network of stringage at the sidewall that weasely string docs use to create artificially narrow, congested, & channeled pockets! :twisted: And therein lies the rationale...I don't think it's about FO nonsense...it's about getting rid of the non-plastic, "soft-tissue" factors that have made the ball-carrying space so insanely narrow and crowded.

Here's to more balls being knocked to the ground!
:character-oldtimer:
Viking

New postby fattylax on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Gotta throw take away checks to make that happen.

When is the statue of Brian K. going up, because clearly he is a CTO god......or, is he just proof that aggressive , take away defense works.

You decide.
" You know how naive you sound? Senators and Presidents don't have people killed. "

"Oh"....who's being naive Kay". GODFATHER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50jHVPt8DPA
fattylax

New postby TheDecider on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:41 am

TheDecider wrote:http://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/web_video/lacrosse/2013/MLAX_1212.html

Please check the new procedure concerning the back of the stick check. At the 2:30 mark of the video, the official places (presses) the ball in back of the mesh. I am not sure why this is a check. Is it because face-off players sometimes have the ball in the back of the mesh?
Sticks with hard mesh will have a difficult time passing this test. In addition, hard mesh and cold weather makes a very stiff mesh pocket.
I am interested in the rationale of this back of the stick check. Any insights?

TheDecider

Per memo from NCAA

b. Back of stick check. Based on coach and official’s feedback from fall practices, the
committee believes that the check on the back of the stick is no longer necessary.

Well I guess I told you so...The back of the stick check has been eliminated.

TheDecider
TheDecider

Sponsor

Return to Men's - Division I